How I rode - Mick Doohan

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
The Spin Doctor

How I rode - Mick Doohan

Post by The Spin Doctor »

This is an interesting read...

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... ick-doohan

I found this illuminating too. I noticed years ago that Doohan had a very asymmetric riding style, different on right and left handers.

Here's his explanation - interestingly, nothing to do with his Assen accident as some people have suggested. I didn't think it was as photos / videos from earlier in his career show his style pre-crash as different both sides.

"Australian dirt track is different to U.S. dirt track. They are oiled dirt tracks and you’re going left and right, putting the bike in there, so the front is sliding around on the way in, then you’ve got to turn back on yourself, with the rear sliding around.

"Maybe that was the reason for my style on the 500. I’d have my backside and lower body well off the bike, pushing the bike, so I could flick it from side to side. That was especially true in left-handers. My style was a little more traditional in right-handers, but the lower half of my body was still well off the bike."
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Bigyin

Re: How I rode - Mick Doohan

Post by Bigyin »

I was very fortunate to be at Snetterton and knowing Tony Scott when he ran his track days with guest celeb instructors and on this day Mick Doohan was the guest and it was the one and only time he attended. He had never been to the place before and admitted he had not even heard of it but was given a new Blade from a local dealership and went out to ride the track.

With the lack of circuit knowledge in mind it took about 3-4 laps and he was passing national class club racers on the brakes with no effort and chucking it into Riches with just a flicker of the brake light then lobbing the bike on its side .............. truly amazing to watch :shock:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bigyin wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:14 pm I was very fortunate to be at Snetterton and knowing Tony Scott when he ran his track days with guest celeb instructors and on this day Mick Doohan was the guest and it was the one and only time he attended. He had never been to the place before and admitted he had not even heard of it but was given a new Blade from a local dealership and went out to ride the track.

With the lack of circuit knowledge in mind it took about 3-4 laps and he was passing national class club racers on the brakes with no effort and chucking it into Riches with just a flicker of the brake light then lobbing the bike on its side .............. truly amazing to watch :shock:
It's like putting pub team pool players against Steve Davis.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:07 pm
It's like putting pub team pool players against Steve Davis.
It was a real education just watching from the sides........ even more so was his attitude during the Q and A as he didnt suffer any fools at all and was merciless with stupid questions :mrgreen:

Thanks to Tony I did get Mick to sign the lid i was wearing but sadly didnt get it laquered over to preserve it before it got smudged a couple of weeks later :(