CBR650r any good?

Anything you like about motorbikes
formula400

CBR650r any good?

Post by formula400 »

Currently waiting to move house (so looking at something to join the grom) the new place its going to be a 16 mile each way commute, a few miles of that will be on the A3 (Epsom to green park)

been looking at a Yamaha MT07, really like the look of them, test rode one years ago and liked it, but close where I live there is a Honda CBR650r, looks great and been reading some reviews and they seem positive,

either bike will be used 12 months a year and through all weathers (maybe the grom can get abused slightly more), the CBR is slightly more expensive and I guess could handle longer distances better but I did London to Le Mans on a street triple R (that's got to be similar to an MT07 right??) but not sure how many long jaunts ill do in the next few years really

any pros/cons to either???? no rush as I won't buy one until I move (unless I find an absolute bargain)
CBR650r :mrgreen:
The Spin Doctor

Re: CBR650r any good?

Post by The Spin Doctor »

If you're riding all weather / 12 months, the first thing I'd be looking for is a fairing plus reasonably upright riding position. Much easier to control on a slippery surface.

My 600 Hornet has almost 90k on it now, and is 20 years old... a bit tired-looking in places but all I have had to replace is rectifier / regulator (of course), cam chain tensioner, radiator, rear wheel bearings and rear disc (too many slow riding demos). Fork seals on the list to be done, and rear shock / fork springs are a bit tired now.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Had both and have the MT07 now. The Honda is more ‘serious’. Quick enough but all revs. Never feels like the front will lift. Very good on track if that matters. MT07 is just more fun and masses more midrange. I much prefer the MT07 but the CBR is a very good bike too.
Build quality on the Honda appeared better the Yamaha is a bit cheap in places. Twin or IL4 though that’s the real decision.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

See this is the issue, I know I should get some practical, but I don’t want that, I want fun, ideally I’d have the new Yamaha R7, for looks alone.

I know they are both quite different bikes, but I do like the idea of another “sports bike” but also have always wanted An MT07, been thinking and maybe the MT with suit the roads I’ll ride and what I want, but I think I need to go test a CBR650r.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

But an R7 wont be impractical as such will it ?
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Get a snotter for the winter riding, then something nice for the day's the sun shines and the roads aren't covered in salt!

It will also be far less thievable if you're parking it up all day at work. On street parking bays offer prime pickings to the bike lifters, and even 'secure' parking often isn't. I had a mate who had a brand new bike removed from a private parking bay complete with security - who knows who's under the helmet when the bike gets ridden out, or who's really driving the ACE BREAKDOWN SERVICES transit that the four hefty blokes are lifting your bike into?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Or if the CBR appeals cos of the faring, what about a Tracer 700?
Potter

Post by Potter »

I'd buy the CBR because I just can't get on with what Yamaha have done with their naked bikes, they look so bland I'd feel disappointed every time I opened the garage. The CBR600 is/was one of the best all-round bikes ever made and the new one should be at least as good, so that's where my money would go if I was deciding between the two.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

weeksy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:42 am But an R7 wont be impractical as such will it ?
No, but everyone in London will want to nick it
formula400

Post by formula400 »

I’ve got the Grom to be used as a snotter, I do not mind that going though winter and all that.

I don’t fancy a tracer, I rode the 900 and it was ok, but I’d only go that way if I had loads of touring planned.

I feel currently where I am in life I don’t and won’t get much free time to ride so want some fun to commute on, not every day mind, but I’ve got more mates cycling and MTBing so free time will go there, if it was just for sunny days I’d get a used 899 panigale. But with cost of the bike and insurance I can’t justify that to be ridden 4 times a year.

I might have to go test ride one of these CBR650R and hope that helps with the choice
Skub

Post by Skub »

This isn't a bad version.

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955