That was bloody close.

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Re: That was bloody close.

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Scotsrich wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:06 am
You’d think so but it’s a well established course of action. I’ve used it before when a young guy rear ended my car.

Basically by going direct to the third party’s insurance you are potentially saving them a lot of money.

If I’d gone to my insurance they won’t deal with it themselves. It would get passed to an accident management company who’s whole raison d’etre is to make the incident as expensive as possible. One of the ways they do this is ‘hire’ you a vehicle, usually at an extortionate price which is billed to my insurance. Then of course the bike would be expected to go to their preferred repairer.
Quite honestly if it’s a clear ‘no fault’ accident on your part I’d always recommend doing that. It’s something that isn’t really well known however.
Ditto when someone managed to hit the rear of my partner's car, which then hit the back of my camper, wrecking the rear door. The Jazz in the middle was written off, but I did a direct claim against the other driver. My insurance company wanted me to hand it over to a claims recovery outfit but by dealing direct approval for the repairs at a body shop of my choice was in a matter of days. They even phoned me regularly to check on the state of play - it took a couple of months to complete because the door had to be sources from Japan and shipped over.

Unfortunately, the respray job done by the bodyshop has simply shown up that the vehicle had already had a respray... which isn't nearly as good - the paint's peeling off on the bonnet now! Back end looks perfect!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Horse wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:37 am
And potentially get loaded for just being there, it seems.

Filly's car was punted, other insurer paid in full. As she's a named driver on my policy I had to declare the crash - and got a bigger renewal fee!
Camper and bike premiums both went up dramatically after my no-fault incident.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

The engine will be the insurers unless you've got salvage rights which my wife has on her classic car policy. Unlikely on a bike policy.

Where did all those posts come from, must have nodded off - it's an age thing!
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

The drinks are on me!!!

(As long as they’re not too expensive)

I must have belted my finger off the guys side mirror and it bruised up for a couple of days but it’s fine now. I’ve been offered the grand sum of £124 for the injury, which I accepted.

I was quite upfront about how trifling the injury was and wasn’t really expecting much. I’m not going to the trouble of making up stuff or exaggerating what I had. I’m just pleased how smoothly the whole operation is going so far.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Fair play to you for not running up the claim. We all benefit from that. Cheers! :thumbup:
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Scotsrich wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:20 am The drinks are on me!!!

(As long as they’re not too expensive)

I must have belted my finger off the guys side mirror and it bruised up for a couple of days but it’s fine now. I’ve been offered the grand sum of £124 for the injury, which I accepted.

I was quite upfront about how trifling the injury was and wasn’t really expecting much. I’m not going to the trouble of making up stuff or exaggerating what I had. I’m just pleased how smoothly the whole operation is going so far.
Just reading this has given me crippling but medically undetectable whiplash.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:39 am On the way back from Wales yesterday there were two incidents that I wouldn't say were close as I gave myself a safety bubble. 1. On an open road, national speed limit, no other traffic I was overtaking a car when it pulled out to go around a puddle. 2. The driver in front of me, 40mph limit, slammed on her brakes for a........pigeon.

I guess neither of them were checking their mirrors.
I would have generally braked for or avoided a pigeon as well - they can cause quite a bit of damage if you hit them fast enough.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

wheelnut wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:07 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:39 am On the way back from Wales yesterday there were two incidents that I wouldn't say were close as I gave myself a safety bubble. 1. On an open road, national speed limit, no other traffic I was overtaking a car when it pulled out to go around a puddle. 2. The driver in front of me, 40mph limit, slammed on her brakes for a........pigeon.

I would have generally braked for or avoided a pigeon as well - they can cause quite a bit of damage if you hit them fast enough.
I have seen one fly into a spoked wheel at speed. It went up like an exploding pillow and then I could smell it. Biker and rider were ok and there was no avoiding that one - came out of nowhere.
Lockdown refugee
Horse

Post by Horse »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:11 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:39 am 2. The driver in front of me, 40mph limit, slammed on her brakes for a........pigeon.

no avoiding that one - came out of nowhere.
By and large (apart from really hot weather when they get dozy), birds will fly out of the road and, as you say, it's the ones the fly from the side of the road that cause grief.

Getting hit on the shoulder by a pheasant was unpleasant, I can tell you.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
David

Post by David »

Horse wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:22 pm

By and large (apart from really hot weather when they get dozy), birds will fly out of the road and, as you say, it's the ones the fly from the side of the road that cause grief.

Don't suppose the peasant was that impressed....
Horse

Post by Horse »

David wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:41 pm
Horse wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:22 pm

Don't suppose the peasant was that impressed....
It didn't stay around to exchange insurance details, whereas I stopped for a few minutes :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
David

Post by David »

You didn't take him home for supper? Most inhospitable of you.....
David

Post by David »

There was a pheasant around last year that got really stroppy...he had a go at Penny and she ended up tripping over herself getting away from him, he came at me as I was shutting our gate , and charged at me while I was on the way up the track...he was lucky, it was wet , had I been on the grass as I often am when it is dry, I would have run him over.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Horse wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:22 pm Getting hit on the shoulder by a pheasant was unpleasant, I can tell you.
As is getting smashed in the fizzog with a wood pigeon. Thought it was gonna take my head off and then I had the trouble of trying to stop from 80mph whilst not being able to see due to streaming eyes, flapping visor, blood and feathers. My mates were happy though as it looked like I'd ridden through a pillow which looked most amusing apparently. Couldn't find much left of the pigeon so couldn't even eat him.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

I got hit in the shoulder by a small sparrow sized bird at about 80 once. It smarted a bit - was like being hit with a golf ball - left a cracking bruise.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Guess who’s going bike shopping ?

Yep, much to my surprise it looks like it’s a write off.

They stripped it down on Saturday and found, amongst other little bits :-

Needs a new engine (£6k +)
Petrol tank split, although I suspect that was previous as it’s been leaking fuel when I was filling it.
Rear subframe is twisted.

Total cost to repair £12,700 !!

I think I’ve joined the very small club of people who have written off a bike without actually hitting the deck.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Ouch!

So same again or have you got over the BMW thing :p
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

So the engine protectors knackered the engine and wrote off the bike?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Hold on, didn't you claim off the 3rd parties insurance?

Don't they have to fix it if you want them too?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Buy the salavage. Minimum £8k on eBay all day long!