HRT Track day at Cadwell Park

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Beancounter

HRT Track day at Cadwell Park

Post by Beancounter »

As some of you might have seen on Facebook, I was at Cadwell Park just over a week ago for a track day organised by HRT Rider Training (formerly Hopp Rider Training).  It was my first time at Cadwell and my first time on an HRT day.

I've only done a few track days in my 20 years of riding,  My first one was back in 2003 at Rockingham, billed as a novice only day which really wasn't.  Then a day at Lydden Hill a few months later which was a lot more enjoyable.  Both of them were on an SV650 and my only riding experience at that point was commuting.  Then it was Brands Indy in late 2006 on my much-loved and bashed around TDM850.  That day was a whole lot of fun with friends Diablo/Pippa and OB.  Sadly life got in the way and fun riding took a back seat for a few years.  

Fast-forward to 2019 and the TRC day at Pembrey on an R1150GSA.  Much fun but lacking confidence and I was easily spooked.  Pippa suggested doing a track day with HRT at Cadwell.  The day started wet and grey.  Pippa's friend, Chris, was doing the day too. This is Pippa whilst waiting for Chris at the Humber Bridge.
IMG_20210901_061909.1.jpg
IMG_20210901_061909.1.jpg (552.59 KiB) Viewed 467 times
The day is billed as "Road rider training, done on track" and is for "real bikes with mirrors, headlights and indicators" and is for "riders who want to become safer, smoother and more progressive".  I was on a more appropriate bike this time, the MT-09 and it was a last chance for me and the bike as I really haven't gelled with it since buying it last year.  Pippa was on a Kwak Versys 300, otherwise known as that Kwak electric bike according to the marshall at scrutineering. 

IMG_20210901_074722.1.jpg
IMG_20210901_074722.1.jpg (735.37 KiB) Viewed 467 times
IMG_20210901_101754.1.jpg
IMG_20210901_101754.1.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 467 times
At a guess, there were about 60 bikes on the day, maybe a few more, it was hard to judge because it was rare for all the bikes to be in the same place.  Riders were split into two groups, A or B, chosen by the rider themselves.  Group A was more experienced riders with B for the novices.  Each group was then split into six sub-groups of no more than 6 bikes, 1-6 with 1 being the more confident riders, 6 being a bit more nervous.  Each sub-group has an HRT instructor.  You have to get in the sub-group early otherwise you could find yourself making up numbers in a different group which might be faster or slower than you are comfortable with, though re-jigging after the first session if needed.  

The sessions are 30 minutes long, four sessions in the morning with another three sessions in the afternoon.  For each session all of the group (A or B) will be out on track at the same time, with each sub-group going out 30 seconds after each other.  The morning sessions are spent following 'ducks and drakes'/follow the leader.  Sessions one and two for each group are with the instructor in front and each rider taking it in turns behind the instructor learning the track and the lines to be on.  Sessions three and four are similar but each rider takes a turn in front of the instructor.  There are debriefs after each session with 'light-touch' instruction but it's very track related, about the correct lines, turn-in points and braking points.  If one group catches another, the  instructor of the 'caught' group will signal his group to the right and let the faster group pass.  The three afternoon sessions are 'free lapping', so like a normal track day.  There is one major difference though - overtaking is only allowed in two places on track, those being this start/finish straight and the Park straight.  Overtakes must be "consensual" which is why the bikes must have mirrors.  Each rider as they come out of Barn or Charlies has to check their mirrors and if the rider behind is indicating left that means they want to overtake.  The rider being overtaken pulls to the right and backs off, this stops those riders on faster bikes pulling away on the straight only to hold up and frustrate those riders who are quicker in the corners.  This might sound boring for a lot of riders but it does mean nobody gets passed on the inside on the approach to a corner and, according to HRT, means they have an excellent safety record with minimal stoppages.  In turn, this means that you can wear fabric kit on an HRT day (as long as it has a full waist zip) and use flip up helmets.  Nothing is perfect and there were two crashes during the day, both of them at Barn in the wet and on the 'follow the leader' sessions - the free lap sessions went without any incidents whatsoever.

The instructors really emphasised at the start of the day to ride within personal limits and to not worry about lap times, that as the day progresses you would pick up speed without realising it - can't speak for anyone else but this applied to me.  Don't get me wrong, I was never going to trouble the edges of the tyres but I was grinning like a window licker and really enjoying being on the MT-09 and didn't regret choosing it over my more comforting RT.  The front wheel even lifted over the mountain once but I made sure that didn't happen again.

It's not a cheap day, HRT is £260 compared to a normal MSV Cadwell day costing £99 (I think that might be a late season price TBH) but if you are new to track riding or looking to gain track experience in a more controlled environment then HRT is well worth a look. As I mentioned above, the training was light touch but instructors were always available to help.

For my part, I'm booked on the MSV Brands Indy day in a couple of weeks. :)
singlesman

Re: HRT Track day at Cadwell Park

Post by singlesman »

Fantastic write up, sounds like a great day out on track.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nice thread Beanie.... ace stuff !
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

singlesman wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:02 pm Fantastic write up, sounds like a great day out on track.
It was a really fun day out. Started off very nervy, it was raining, it was a new track, wasn't sure of the bike, but the nerves settled more and more after each session. The track dried out at lunchtime which helped, still didn't like Hairpin or Barn right enough but it was reiterated not to try to make a slow corner into a fast corner so I was quite comfortable taking my time there.

Strangely enough, the follow-the-leader sessions made me more nervous because the convoy naturally 'concertinas' as you exit a corner and start to bunch up at the next. Also, when you're 3rd or lower in the convoy, it's hard to stay on the same line as the instructor, if the second bike is twelve inches off the line, this is then exacerbated further down the convoy and you can end up all over the place, you have to learn to aim for the correct line (as near as you comfortably can) and not just follow the rider in front unless he's the instructor.

HRT also do machine control days with Essex Fire Brigade so I'm going to try one of those too hopefully.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Second time at Cadwell?

You'll be under 2 minutes soon :)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I thought it was going to be a trackday for menopausal women
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just a quiet bit of advice. I used to show folk the ideal racing line. Then I'd explain it all. So that the next circuit they go to, they'll work it out for themselves, sort of ;)

A single corner should be a constant radius. An arc where you glide round. Imagine in a car. Plan ahead so that you set the steering wheel, then it doesn't change the whole way through. Glide.
Minimum effort to keep the bike smooth.
Screenshot_20210913-161656_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210913-161656_Samsung Internet.jpg (272.99 KiB) Viewed 417 times
Screenshot_20210913-161641_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210913-161641_Samsung Internet.jpg (244.12 KiB) Viewed 417 times

This might help. Car lines but similar

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.evo.co ... tail%3famp
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Good write up.

I did it myself a couple of years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it till mid-afternoon I noticed that a fork seal had given up the ghost. Even though it was only leaving a bit of a ring on the fork leg, I didn't want to risk braking hard and finding the the seal had popped and sprayed oil over a disc on the previous bend! And as I was getting knackered - the early start to the session means an even earlier "get out of bed" time, I called it quits.

The only thing I would take issue with is the billing as "Road rider training, done on track".

I didn't really think there was much of a 'training' element, but as an intro to Cadwell, a place I've been watching racing at since the early 80s but had never ridden, I thought it was brilliant (even though the 'gyroscope' demo of counter-steering is so wrong ;) ).

I was a bit surprised to be put in the A group (after I asked for some advice) but it actually turned out to be about right. Although I was 'only' on the XJ6, a lot of the circuit is about getting the line right rather than simply twisting the go-handle. The advice on lines was spot-on, as were the demos.

The XJ surprised me by lofting the front wheel over the mountain just about every lap! If Hall Bends was my fav section (I've always loved watching there) there's hardly a moment on the circuit that doesn't represent a challenge.

Glad you enjoyed it Beanie, I had a ball!

If anyone wants to read my impressions, they are here. https://www.facebook.com/SurvivalSkills ... 2149778687
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Yorick wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:09 pm Second time at Cadwell?

Depends, would that mean either of my wheels leaving terra firma over the Mountain?
Yorick wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:31 pm Just a quiet bit of advice. I used to show folk the ideal racing line. Then I'd explain it all. So that the next circuit they go to, they'll work it out for themselves, sort of ;)

A single corner should be a constant radius. An arc where you glide round. Imagine in a car. Plan ahead so that you set the steering wheel, then it doesn't change the whole way through. Glide.
Minimum effort to keep the bike smooth.
Those lines mirror what we were told and shown on the day. I'd be lucky if I was on the correct line for more than 20% of the lap. :D We were guided to take a slightly wider line at Hairpin because the steep drop on the inside/racing line could mean grounding out exhausts.
The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:01 pm Good write up.

I did it myself a couple of years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it till mid-afternoon I noticed that a fork seal had given up the ghost. Even though it was only leaving a bit of a ring on the fork leg, I didn't want to risk braking hard and finding the the seal had popped and sprayed oil over a disc on the previous bend! And as I was getting knackered - the early start to the session means an even earlier "get out of bed" time, I called it quits.

The only thing I would take issue with is the billing as "Road rider training, done on track".

I didn't really think there was much of a 'training' element, but as an intro to Cadwell, a place I've been watching racing at since the early 80s but had never ridden, I thought it was brilliant (even though the 'gyroscope' demo of counter-steering is so wrong ;) ).
Agreed, there was no mention of road riding, this was purely about learning our way around Cadwell and doing it in a more controlled environment.

They did the gyroscopic wheel but it was to show that as long as the wheel maintains momentum is has stability - it was the part of the briefing where they were telling us not to cover the front brake so as to remove the temptation to use the front brake in a bend.
The Spin Doctor wrote:I was a bit surprised to be put in the A group (after I asked for some advice) but it actually turned out to be about right. Although I was 'only' on the XJ6, a lot of the circuit is about getting the line right rather than simply twisting the go-handle. The advice on lines was spot-on, as were the demos.

The XJ surprised me by lofting the front wheel over the mountain just about every lap! If Hall Bends was my fav section (I've always loved watching there) there's hardly a moment on the circuit that doesn't represent a challenge.

Glad you enjoyed it Beanie, I had a ball!

If anyone wants to read my impressions, they are here. https://www.facebook.com/SurvivalSkills ... 2149778687
Hall Bends is/are lovely but I was still trying to get my head straight after getting over the Mountain. :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

Beancounter wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:28 pm They did the gyroscopic wheel but it was to show that as long as the wheel maintains momentum is has stability - it was the part of the briefing where they were telling us not to cover the front brake so as to remove the temptation to use the front brake in a bend.
At Coombe, they talked about 'loading the front end' into bends. I asked what the benefit was? Told that, because of the Bimmer's Telelever, not to bother. Unfortunately, they didn't enlighten everyone else.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Beancounter wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:28 pm

Depends, would that mean either of my wheels leaving terra firma over the Mountain?
Nope! I got to 'just' under 2 mins and worked REALLY hard to keep the front wheel down!! :lol: :lol: :lol: (could have been quite a lot faster I reckon if I'd been braver!!)

Hall Bends is/are lovely but I was still trying to get my head straight after getting over the Mountain. :D
I bloody love Halls Bends. I know I wasn't a great person on track because I hated the mountain but speeded up into Halls Bends - almost got in a pickle with other people assuming I'd be as slow through Halls as I was up the mountain :( Really need to sort that out when I go back!!

Glad you enjoyed it. It's my favourite uk track (of the few I've tried) - totally worth the long drive!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Horse wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:36 pm
Beancounter wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:28 pm They did the gyroscopic wheel but it was to show that as long as the wheel maintains momentum is has stability - it was the part of the briefing where they were telling us not to cover the front brake so as to remove the temptation to use the front brake in a bend.
At Coombe, they talked about 'loading the front end' into bends. I asked what the benefit was? Told that, because of the Bimmer's Telelever, not to bother. Unfortunately, they didn't enlighten everyone else.
Hmm, no mention of that at Cadwell, unless I missed it, though I'm interested to know more about 'loading the front end'.
Noggin wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:31 am

Nope! I got to 'just' under 2 mins and worked REALLY hard to keep the front wheel down!! :lol: :lol: :lol: (could have been quite a lot faster I reckon if I'd been braver!!)
I don't even like popping wheelies on the mountain bike - just ask Weeksy. The feel of the front end going light over the Mountain almost caused an escape of poo.
Noggin wrote:
I bloody love Halls Bends. I know I wasn't a great person on track because I hated the mountain but speeded up into Halls Bends - almost got in a pickle with other people assuming I'd be as slow through Halls as I was up the mountain :( Really need to sort that out when I go back!!
I was similar tbh, holding back on the Mountain but getting carried away (for me anyway) on Hall Bends. I'll definitely go back to Cadwell but am looking forward to Brands in a couple of weeks. Need to sort leathers out for that, haven't worn them since Pembrey 2019. Have a funny feeling I'll have to blend myself and pour to get into them. :think: :oops:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Best bit of Cadwell is from just after the chicane to just before the chicane
Honda Owner
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:13 pm Best bit of Cadwell is from just after the chicane to just before the chicane
Not a fan of the chicane then? :D
Le_Fromage_Grande

Beancounter wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:18 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:13 pm Best bit of Cadwell is from just after the chicane to just before the chicane
Not a fan of the chicane then? :D
It's wank, the track was better without it, but the track was also better with the Barn at Barn and the tree at Coppice
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I once went to a meeting at Cadwell when there was a Supermoto race on the schedule.

They'd obviously never run an SM race, or really understood what an SM was.

Half way up Coppice, there was a hard right turn on to the grass, round the tree (which isn't there anymore), through a bale chicane and back on to the track somewhere near the bottom of Mansfield. There was also a bale chicane on the start/finish straight.

It was pure comedy.

I don't think there was a single rider that didn't fall off. The grass is just grass, not dirt, so offered no grip at all. The bales lasted about 30 seconds.

I think it was a Retford and District meeting, the club doesn't exist anymore.
Le_Fromage_Grande

They should have just used the old motorcross track that's on the far side of the start finish straight and the Woodland circuit
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

It's a bit iffy, but good passing place. On the brakes round the outside, or get on the gas sooner on the exit.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Yorick wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:07 pm
It's a bit iffy, but good passing place. On the brakes round the outside, or get on the gas sooner on the exit.
Or as a friend of mine did, get on the grass sooner on the exit
Honda Owner
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Beancounter wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:28 pm Agreed, there was no mention of road riding, this was purely about learning our way around Cadwell and doing it in a more controlled environment.

They did the gyroscopic wheel but it was to show that as long as the wheel maintains momentum is has stability - it was the part of the briefing where they were telling us not to cover the front brake so as to remove the temptation to use the front brake in a bend.
Ah, that's interesting!

I happen to know one of their instructors - he's a firefighter, met him when I put the Science Of Being Seen (SOBS) presentation together for Biker Down, and we exchange views from time to time.

ISTR I commented on the mistaken idea that it's gyroscopic precession that causes a bike to lean when counter-steered. Maybe he took that up with them, and they've removed that element from the briefing. Steering no. But stability yes! A spinning wheel certainly helps keep the bike upright.
Ha! I've never been great at wheelies but the XJ6 was too heavy to keep the wheel lofted for long. Was fun feeling it float, though!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills