The Brexit thread

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: The Brexit thread

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

How many skilled jobs have been lost though? I honestly don't know beyond my own anecdotal experience (we are really struggling to recruit fast enough) and the already mentioned shortage of Doctors and Nurses.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Potter wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:42 amit's less hassle than when you wanted to go to Australia - and I'm not being mean but you wouldn't have survived there, you're too entrenched in a UK public sector mentality where you think you have rights to everything.
I'm not so sure about that as one of my sisters has lived near Brisbane for 25+ years and I have worked with a carpenter from Coolangatta (about 50k's away) and the description I've had from them was of a heavily unionised workforce with quite a lot of rights.
So those are Healthcare and Building. Admittedly thats a very small sample to draw far reaching conclusions from but it's as many as a couple of people getting a job at B&Q and The Dog & Duck so equally valid, or not as the case may be.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Well Covid has made bosses realise that an awful lot of jobs -can- be done at home - the technology is there, there's not masses of skiving, a lot of people actually like it.
But it won't be long before they realise that it's cheaper to hire folk to do the same job in eastern Europe or further.

So maybe I will be grateful for that Brexit bar job after all.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:31 am How many skilled jobs have been lost though? I honestly don't know beyond my own anecdotal experience (we are really struggling to recruit fast enough) and the already mentioned shortage of Doctors and Nurses.
That shortage was there before Brexit was even a realisable dream.
Docca

Post by Docca »

irie wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:00 am As said before, see above.

:lol:
See what above? This is typical of you; you can’t make a coherent point ( almost all of the time) and then stand there repeatedly jamming your index finger in table like a demented school teacher claiming ‘it’s all there’. It isn’t.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Did you look at my post, or can you only see things that are in doctors' handwriting?
Docca

Post by Docca »

Potter wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:42 am
Docca wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:31 pm
But the above hasn’t helped. It’s formed me that if I want a minimum wage B&Q or bar job- I’m golden.

Any fisherman in here? How’s Brexit working out for them?

The freedom to roam deal isn’t worth all the trade deals with Cameroon in the world.

Dunno chaps, you don’t have sound desperate trying to convince yourself we as a country are now better off than before Brexit.
Nephew is on a graduate trainee manager scheme with a big DIY place, however that's not the point, there have always been plenty of skilled jobs available (aren't you always crying that there aren't enough doctors/nurses to fill the jobs?), but the people that were suffering were the lower skilled people that were losing jobs to foreign workers, but now there are drivers, bar workers, forklift, warehouse staff, etc jobs all over the place.

Wife's family are involved in the fishing industry, they live in a fishing town, they were telling me that the catch used to be shipped off to be processed and then shipped back to the UK to be sold, but less so now, with the result that they've taken on extra staff to process the fish in the UK. We drove down there to visit the marina to see about keeping a yacht there and it was bustling.

Your "right to roam" was never a god given right, it was a deal that was struck with those other countries, it's still within their gift to allow you the same freedom but they won't because they don't want you to have those rights. You can still go there but under a different deal, it's less hassle than when you wanted to go to Australia - and I'm not being mean but you wouldn't have survived there, you're too entrenched in a UK public sector mentality where you think you have rights to everything.

It’s funny ( it isn’t) but when you get contrary views to your own, your coping mechanism appears to be to attack their person. That’s a weakness, so it’s ironic ( it is) when you talk about how others can/cannot cope. Where do we draw the line? You were not employable in the UK so had to leave? You couldn’t even hack finishing a degree course etc ( I strongly suspect because it involved critically analysing your own views, which you struggle to do). Dunno. It’s unpleasant though. ( apologies, forgot to load all of that with ‘not being funny’ ( I’m not racist …)

It’s the same for intolerant right-leaners though- they’ll group up and mock. Irie is in the same camp. The more it happens, the more you know you’re in a gammon working mens club where intolerance of other people’s views is the main defining factor.

I’m not in a union and my entire NHS life I’ve been on the receiving end of Joe public who feel it is their god given right to be entitled to everything, so your view there again is skewed.

I’m pleased that your anecdotes of your sisters aunts Alsatian twice removed’s fishing business is thriving. I wonder what their view is of:

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/20 ... extinction

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 1.html?amp

https://www.reuters.com/business/uk-fis ... 021-07-14/

https://www.ft.com/content/f58eb8b0-c5f ... 9f2f194f4b

Obviously, if you have any articles that highlight how much your relatives are winning post Brexit that would be great to read If you ( or any of you) could share?
Last edited by Docca on Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Docca

Post by Docca »

Kneerly Down wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:25 am Did you look at my post, or can you only see things that are in doctors' handwriting?
Yes, I saw you made some subjective claim about the chocolate being more tasty because it was made in the UK and rolled my eyes. Was there anything else ?
Docca

Post by Docca »

Oh, and for all these waiting jobs that are in abundance- I think I mention that last week the local Pizza express were down to 1 chef and 1 waitress and last night the local ‘Bills’ had to close early as they didn’t have enough waiting staff.

Happy to share some non-family-related-non-anecdotes from the news that none of you will read because it won’t suit your arguement:

https://www.businessinsider.com/labor-s ... 2021-7?amp

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -with-fear

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/11/busi ... c.amp.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 8.html?amp

But do keep the anecdotes coming because, y’know, that’s all you’ve got.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Seeing as covid has caused a lot of job changes round the world it's difficult to say how much Brexit has affected any, even HGV driver shortages exist in Europe where all of these spare drivers are meant to be waiting for work.
The hospitality industry is suffering because many staff found different jobs in lockdown and now don't want to go back, they are happier delivering shopping than working in a kitchen. So yes there are many of certain jobs available but not necessarily because if Brexit.
Retail was in turmoil before covid and Brexit, a few companies reliant on European retail have gone under but if they had that much of an in-demand product they would still be trading.
Apart from NI I don't see a lot of problems or benefits from Brexit, some more paperwork countered by being able to get covid covid vaccines.
irie

Post by irie »

Docca wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:21 am
irie wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:00 am As said before, see above.

:lol:
See what above? This is typical of you; you can’t make a coherent point ( almost all of the time) and then stand there repeatedly jamming your index finger in table like a demented school teacher claiming ‘it’s all there’. It isn’t.
You have posted anecdotally that Brexit has been a 'bad thing' while conveniently ignoring others who have posted, not only anecdotally, that at least some aspects of Brexit have been a 'good thing'. Image
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Potter

Post by Potter »

Docca wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:34 am
It’s funny ( it isn’t) but when you get contrary views to your own, your coping mechanism appears to be to attack their person. That’s a weakness, so it’s ironic ( it is) when you talk about how others can/cannot cope. Where do we draw the line? You were not employable in the UK so had to leave? You couldn’t even hack finishing a degree course etc ( I strongly suspect because it involved critically analysing your own views, which you struggle to do). Dunno. It’s unpleasant though. ( apologies, forgot to load all of that with ‘not being funny’ ( I’m not racist …)
My coping strategy is like a more polite version of yours, you're really mean when you go after someone.

You're right in some of the above, I wasn't quite unemployable but I was tired of some of the same things you are, so I left. I couldn't hack the final year of my degree because I knew it wouldn't help me in life and I'd already wasted two years tossing it off in academia.
Etc.

If your job, the organisation, the government, etc, vex you to the point of twisting you (which it has) then you've lost clarity and perspective and you either sit tight and twist yourself up more, or you take a different path, I said this to you a few years ago and I can see the change in you.
Working in an NHS environment for a couple of years opened my eyes, it was the most toxic place I've ever worked.
demographic wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:36 am
I'm not so sure about that as one of my sisters has lived near Brisbane for 25+ years and I have worked with a carpenter from Coolangatta (about 50k's away) and the description I've had from them was of a heavily unionised workforce with quite a lot of rights.
So those are Healthcare and Building. Admittedly thats a very small sample to draw far reaching conclusions from but it's as many as a couple of people getting a job at B&Q and The Dog & Duck so equally valid, or not as the case may be.
I think you're right, but my mate that moved there as an electrician told me that whilst they have imported some of the UK "I know my rights" stuff, it doesn't fly so well if you're an immigrant, so if you turn up there with a mouth on you and start to tell them that you know your rights because you come from the UK, then you're basically ensuring that you're not going to get anywhere and you might as well come back home.

He had to do trade tests and reprocess to their way of doing things to get properly registered, even though he was a fully qualified time-served UK electrician with years of experience. He said you either shut up and get on with it, or leave pretty pissed off with it all, which seems to fit with the people I've met that stayed and/or came back.

So rocking up to the Oz NHS and playing the left-wing UK NHS card might get you a challenging time.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:31 am How many skilled jobs have been lost though? I honestly don't know beyond my own anecdotal experience (we are really struggling to recruit fast enough) and the already mentioned shortage of Doctors and Nurses.
Brexit isn't a cure all, or a poison that kills all.

How many blacksmiths were around in 1850? How many are around now?
Have those people bred a whole generation of hundreds of thousands of unemployed blacksmiths that now sit around moaning that times changed and it's not fair? Or did they adapt?

The money is still there, find a way to catch some of it, or don't.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Its also impossible to know what would have happened without Brexit, so it all seems a bit stupid TBH.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Docca wrote: Yes, I saw you made some subjective claim about the chocolate being more tasty because it was made in the UK and rolled my eyes. Was there anything else ?
Again, you appear to have, intentionally, one presumes, missed out that the supplier of much of his base chocolate. moved production from Belgium to the UK.

That is objective fact.
That the chocolate tastes better is the subjective view of an award-winning chocolatier. :)
Docca

Post by Docca »

Hope you like measuring your chocolate in pounds and ounces

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scal ... -638vfn655

Seriously, wtf?

Who is this pandering to? What is it trying to distract us from?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Ugh, like the blue passport it's just another example of pointless chest beating pandering to the Brexit senior citizens.

Seriously, outside of niche industry, most people under 60 could care less. Under 30s must think it's mental.

May as well reintroduce £sd, groats, florins and thruppeny bits as well. Because it makes you feel safe to remember a time when there weren't any snowflakes and furriners knew their place.
Potter

Post by Potter »

It's simple, it means that people in the UK will be able to sell their own goods using imperial measurements if they and/or the customer prefer, rather than being made criminals for doing so by Brussels.
It won't make much difference to me, but it's news and I'm struggling to see a downside?

Do you two think it's a slight of hand to divert your attention so that rich people can do something bad to you?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I think you'd have to be terribly obtuse, malevolent or just plain stupid to try to persuade us governments don't purposely introduce diversionary 'plans' as a tactical move. It happens all the time. You'd think covid and Brexit were distracting enough?

So it's probably just Boris pandering to the army of brexiters - has there been a slump in his ratings or something?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:51 am It means that a few people in the UK will be able to sell goods using imperial measurements to generations never taught those measures.
ftfy

I was taught both (albeit I think we did rod line pole perch chain etc too), and used imperial measurements for work until about 15 years ago (that industry may still, just that I'm not part of it).

But I agree about it being daft to prosecute.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: