The Brexit thread

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Docca

Re: The Brexit thread

Post by Docca »

Potter wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:21 am Political Facebook fake tales of woe, circulated by Karen, Sharon and Docca :lol:
No doubt as we speak he's queuing at a foodbank, selling his war medals just to put the heating on and writing an open letter to the government.

Are you ok hun? Call me. Hugz.
Yet you feel your opinion, under an alias in a motorcycle forum should be valued? Irony much?

Dismissing the views of others in such fashion just makes you sound blinkered. Well, more blinkered.
Docca

Post by Docca »

irie wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:50 am @Docca's rant

Posted at 10.33pm Image

Edited for CS

Not that it matters, but I haven’t been drinking. That’s your go to rebuttal though. Well, that and meticulously retro-raising threads to point out someone should have said whom instead of who.

Keen to hear your views on the positives of Brexit. List them if you like.
irie

Post by irie »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:27 am
MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:12 am
Not enough hours in the day for me, it's made us as busy as busy things, we're naming our own prices and still having to turn down work, I am looking forward to pay review and bonus time next year.
It does seem to have worked that way. Anecdotal, but a small snapshot of the SMEs that are my customers show that some are really making hay while some are dead on their feet. The stability across the various sectors seems to have gone/been readjusted.

The pandemic along with pent up demand has turned everything on its head as well so as yet it’s difficult to isolate brexit effects from pandemic effects.
It does seem that as a result of Covid perhaps 10 years of change has been compressed into 2 years. With the Covid induced rapid acceleration of online business it's laid to rest many "zombie" business.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Potter

Post by Potter »

Docca wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:27 am
Dismissing the views of others in such fashion just makes you sound blinkered. Well, more blinkered.
Get a grip lad, you posted a fake FB story to moan about Brexit, it might fly on your FB page if your friends are all Brexit moaners but you should have known you'd get it thrown back at you on here.

I'll tell you a real live negative effect of Brexit for me, I want some marine diesel parts, they're made in Europe and I can't get them here, I called a couple of shops in the UK and they can get them imported from Europe easily enough to order if someone requests them, but they won't post them back outside of the UK because it's too much hassle now and they just want to cater to UK people.

I don't know if that's some sort of patriotic thing or the UK postage system is shit, but either way I have to get them posted to someone in the UK, then he'll DHL them out to me.

UK businesses only working to benefit UK people, the rotten sods :(

On the plus side, my BIL is going to post them out to me, I said I'd send him the money but he said no need, just buy him a pint when I'm back, he's a lorry driver and has work coming out of his ears, he's doing overtime in the warehouse on double bubble when he isn't driving and reckons he's never had so much money to spend.

UK jobs for UK people, driving wages up, how dare they.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:24 am
Count Steer wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:19 am
irie wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:50 am Posted at 10.33pm Image
What was?
Edited for you.
Thanks. I assumed it was Brexitosis - on being presented with a number, the irresistable urge to quote an entirely different/irrelevant one. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

My brother drives HGVs and his hourly rate has gone up by c.35%.
Roughly half of my son's chocolate comes from (and is made in) the UK rather than Belgium since Brexit. From the same supplier, for less cost and with an even better taste. The supplier set up new production lines in the UK in case of supply issues following Brexit.
Fairly sure the likes of Muller set up hugely more production capacity in the UK also, and are sourcing all their milk from UK suppliers now for UK sales.

The VAT 'issue' stated in the FB tale of woe was a change coming in anyway, irrespective of Brexit. The timing of the change led people to conflate it with Brexit though.
Potter

Post by Potter »

My niece has gone to Uni and said she'd only been there a weekend and got a job in a bar, apparently all her new friends have as well, there are plenty of vacancies and they're all well chuffed to have as much work as they can fit in around their studies.

Nephew is a trainee manager at a big DIY chain, he gets a salary but gets overtime if he works over, he reckons if he could stay awake he could work 24/7 and still have work to do, he's saving for a car so he's happy at the extra money.

In many cases Brexit appears to be doing what most Brexiteers voted for.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Potter wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:39 am there are plenty of vacancies and they're all well chuffed to have as much work as they can fit in around their studies.
Same, daughter went and interviewed for 2 jobs a month or so back and got offered both within a couple of days, nice to have the choice on where she picked and fit it in around her uni studies.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

irie wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:30 am

It does seem that as a result of Covid perhaps 10 years of change has been compressed into 2 years. With the Covid induced rapid acceleration of online business it's laid to rest many "zombie" business.
To some extent, but it’s more than that. The retail and hospitality sector are certainly having a post-pandemic bounce which will tail back to normal levels in the coming months, but there’s lots of other, primarily viable B2B businesses which are still trying to navigate their way through brexit and the pandemic. As an example, we look after a company that provides banners and signage for major events; marathons, that type of thing. They supplied several European cities with stuff which was the core of their business. The euro customers are now sourcing the stuff from mainland Europe and their workforce has decreased by about 70%. Post brexit or pandemic effect?

I can look across my customer base and honestly say that the ones that supply Europe have generally downsized and are cutting their cloth, and staff, accordingly. Yeah, I’m just an insignificant, anecdotal snapshot, but I don’t see any reason why my experience doesn’t scale up.

Again looking across my customer base, the ones that are consumer facing (although not many as we don’t do retail or hospitality) can’t keep up with demand.

And, I’m with Docca I’m afraid. I’ve lost my right to roam freely on the greatest continent on earth and I’m struggling to see a tangible benefit.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:48 am

Same, daughter went and interviewed for 2 jobs a month or so back and got offered both within a couple of days, nice to have the choice on where she picked and fit it in around her uni studies.
There’s absolutely shitloads of jobs available in the hospitality sector. Ideal for students, not so good for primary family earners.
Potter

Post by Potter »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:05 pm The retail and hospitality sector are certainly having a post-pandemic bounce which will tail back to normal levels in the coming months, but there’s lots of other, primarily viable B2B businesses which are still trying to navigate their way through brexit and the pandemic.
Some things will need to reset, hospitality and service seems to be moving back to pre-cheap foreign labour times and you might have to pay a bit more to support higher wages for UK workers.

Some businesses will export less, the UK public will import less, so there is opportunity and challenge, the smart will adapt.

Times change, if businesses cling onto an old business model (like Woolworths) then they'll dry up and disappear, new ones will spring up, the money is still going to be spent somewhere, you just have to adapt.

I'm used to applying for visas, that's how the rest of the world works, it's a minor inconvenience if you want to travel.

The glass is half empty or half full.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:12 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:48 am

There’s absolutely shitloads of jobs available in the hospitality sector. Ideal for students, not so good for primary family earners.
She wouldn't touch hospitality with a 10 foot barge pole, she could have had any of dozens of jobs within walking distance, but went with B&Q instead :banana-wrench:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

There's absolutely shit loads of jobs available where I work too (EVs), we're really struggling to find people. I doubt that has anything to do with Brexit though and much more to do with the growth of an emerging industry.

So yeah.....send me your CVs :D

I have no idea of the significance, but a large percentage of our staff are continental Europeans. Engineering office staff that is, not just cheap factory labour.
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:05 pm I can look across my customer base and honestly say that the ones that supply Europe have generally downsized and are cutting their cloth, and staff, accordingly. Yeah, I’m just an insignificant, anecdotal snapshot, but I don’t see any reason why my experience doesn’t scale up.
Also just as anecdotally, a good chunk of my work is ensuring our clients meet EU requirements to provide their goods on that market, we haven't seen that side tail off at all.

It's caught a few off them off guard and put them on the back foot, but that's their doing for not engaging with all of the published guidance, BEIS have been doing an acceptable job of getting the info out there, sure they could do a lot better but they are a government department.

I'm thinking, and it's only my thinking, that covid has helped somewhat, it slowed down timeframes, allowed a certain amount of catch up.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:48 am
Docca wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:27 am
Get a grip lad, you posted a fake FB story to moan about Brexit, it might fly on your FB page if your friends are all Brexit moaners but you should have known you'd get it thrown back at you on here.

I'll tell you a real live negative effect of Brexit for me, I want some marine diesel parts, they're made in Europe and I can't get them here, I called a couple of shops in the UK and they can get them imported from Europe easily enough to order if someone requests them, but they won't post them back outside of the UK because it's too much hassle now and they just want to cater to UK people.

I don't know if that's some sort of patriotic thing or the UK postage system is shit, but either way I have to get them posted to someone in the UK, then he'll DHL them out to me.

Surely European producers still ship to MidEast ??
irie

Post by irie »

Docca wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:30 am

Posted at 10.33pm Image

Edited for CS
Not that it matters, but I haven’t been drinking. That’s your go to rebuttal though. Well, that and meticulously retro-raising threads to point out someone should have said whom instead of who.

See above.

And if you need any more help, as you have in the past, over how to assemble your IKEA furniture, or which Mercedes car to buy for your wife, just let us know and we'll be pleased to help. Mwah. x
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Docca

Post by Docca »

irie wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:49 pm
Docca wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:30 am

Posted at 10.33pm Image

Edited for CS

See above.

And if you need any more help, as you have in the past, over how to assemble your IKEA furniture, or which Mercedes car to buy for your wife, just let us know and we'll be pleased to help. Mwah. x

But the above hasn’t helped. It’s formed me that if I want a minimum wage B&Q or bar job- I’m golden.

Any fisherman in here? How’s Brexit working out for them?

The freedom to roam deal isn’t worth all the trade deals with Cameroon in the world.

Dunno chaps, you don’t have sound desperate trying to convince yourself we as a country are now better off than before Brexit.
irie

Post by irie »

As said before, see above.

:lol:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Docca wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:31 pm
But the above hasn’t helped. It’s formed me that if I want a minimum wage B&Q or bar job- I’m golden.

Any fisherman in here? How’s Brexit working out for them?

The freedom to roam deal isn’t worth all the trade deals with Cameroon in the world.

Dunno chaps, you don’t have sound desperate trying to convince yourself we as a country are now better off than before Brexit.
Nephew is on a graduate trainee manager scheme with a big DIY place, however that's not the point, there have always been plenty of skilled jobs available (aren't you always crying that there aren't enough doctors/nurses to fill the jobs?), but the people that were suffering were the lower skilled people that were losing jobs to foreign workers, but now there are drivers, bar workers, forklift, warehouse staff, etc jobs all over the place.

Wife's family are involved in the fishing industry, they live in a fishing town, they were telling me that the catch used to be shipped off to be processed and then shipped back to the UK to be sold, but less so now, with the result that they've taken on extra staff to process the fish in the UK. We drove down there to visit the marina to see about keeping a yacht there and it was bustling.

Your "right to roam" was never a god given right, it was a deal that was struck with those other countries, it's still within their gift to allow you the same freedom but they won't because they don't want you to have those rights. You can still go there but under a different deal, it's less hassle than when you wanted to go to Australia - and I'm not being mean but you wouldn't have survived there, you're too entrenched in a UK public sector mentality where you think you have rights to everything.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Yeah loads of bar and waitressing jobs around, woo-hoo.
The wins of Brexit doing some massively heavy lifting.