That was bloody close.

Anything you like about motorbikes
Taipan

Re: That was bloody close.

Post by Taipan »

I told Cannon BMW I wanted the back wheel and subframe back when they fitted new ones under an insurance claim. They were very reluctant to do this and I argued they were my parts and the insurance company was paying them to remove them and refit new ones, but they were still my property unless they could show me different. Mysteriously the subframe disappeared, apparently scrapped, but I did get the rear wheel back off them. This was about 15 years ago though.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Taipan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:31 am I told Cannon BMW I wanted the back wheel and subframe back when they fitted new ones under an insurance claim. They were very reluctant to do this and I argued they were my parts and the insurance company was paying them to remove them and refit new ones, but they were still my property unless they could show me different. Mysteriously the subframe disappeared, apparently scrapped, but I did get the rear wheel back off them. This was about 15 years ago though.
It’s a GS engine at a BMW dealer so I’d imagine a conversation like ‘Sorry mate you’re engine is buggered but we just happen to have a low mileage one in the back’. Or maybe I’m just cynical
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Scotsrich wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:13 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:31 am I told Cannon BMW I wanted the back wheel and subframe back when they fitted new ones under an insurance claim. They were very reluctant to do this and I argued they were my parts and the insurance company was paying them to remove them and refit new ones, but they were still my property unless they could show me different. Mysteriously the subframe disappeared, apparently scrapped, but I did get the rear wheel back off them. This was about 15 years ago though.
It’s a GS engine at a BMW dealer so I’d imagine a conversation like ‘Sorry mate you’re engine is buggered but we just happen to have a low mileage one in the back’. Or maybe I’m just cynical
Exactly how I'd feel too. I'd certainly clarify who owns the removed parts as I suspect the dealer gets them as if they were no good theyd have to dispose/recycle them, but if they are reusable is it their bonus, or can you get them? Cannon were very reluctant to give me my bits...
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

If the insurance co pays for the repairs, then all the bits belong to them!
As has probably been said, get dibs on the bits via the ins co, however they probably have an Avenue of disposal already set up.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Demannu wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:17 pm If the insurance co pays for the repairs, then all the bits belong to them!
As has probably been said, get dibs on the bits via the ins co, however they probably have an Avenue of disposal already set up.

The phrase used to be "I would like to retain salvage".

I can quite understand dealers (or ins co) being twitchy about releasing anything structural ie that might fail in subsequent re-use.

I heard that when there was the grief about Honda Pans throwing off coppers at high speed, when taken out of service the bikes had their frames cut through.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The bars that protect the engine are the cause of damage that means the engine may need replacing.

Now, what's wrong with that sentence?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
dern

Post by dern »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:39 am On the way back from Wales yesterday there were two incidents that I wouldn't say were close as I gave myself a safety bubble. 1. On an open road, national speed limit, no other traffic I was overtaking a car when it pulled out to go around a puddle. 2. The driver in front of me, 40mph limit, slammed on her brakes for a........pigeon.

I guess neither of them were checking their mirrors.
Devil's advocate and thought from my IAM course...
1. You should arguably be looking for dangers like that but the driver should be too and acting accordingly. I wouldn't overtake a car heading toward a puddle.
2. Ignoring the fact that it was a pigeon, no one should look in their mirrors before doing an emergency stop.
...these things happen though and that's what the bubble is for :)
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

dern wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:22 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:39 am On the way back from Wales yesterday there were two incidents that I wouldn't say were close as I gave myself a safety bubble. 1. On an open road, national speed limit, no other traffic I was overtaking a car when it pulled out to go around a puddle. 2. The driver in front of me, 40mph limit, slammed on her brakes for a........pigeon.

I guess neither of them were checking their mirrors.
Devil's advocate and thought from my IAM course...
1. You should arguably be looking for dangers like that but the driver should be too and acting accordingly. I wouldn't overtake a car heading toward a puddle.
2. Ignoring the fact that it was a pigeon, no one should look in their mirrors before doing an emergency stop.
...these things happen though and that's what the bubble is for :)
I'm "very IAM" apparently and "I'm very nice to follow" ;) I didn't see the puddle but I did see the pigeon.
Lockdown refugee
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:16 pm The bars that protect the engine are the cause of damage that means the engine may need replacing.

Is it an anagram or summat ?
David

Post by David »

Yorick wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:07 pm
Count Steer wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:16 pm The bars that protect the engine are the cause of damage that means the engine may need replacing.

I suspect it is a non sequitor
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

David wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:21 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:07 pm

I suspect it is a non sequitor
Yeah. I was trying for litotes. :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
David

Post by David »

Wasn'y she the greek lady that wouldn't drop her knickers until they stopped fighting? I prefer hyperbole....
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

David wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:44 pm Wasn'y she the greek lady that wouldn't drop her knickers until they stopped fighting? I prefer hyperbole....
I don't because I always pronounce it Hyper Bowl! :oops: :D
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Taipan wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:40 pm
David wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:44 pm Wasn'y she the greek lady that wouldn't drop her knickers until they stopped fighting? I prefer hyperbole....
I don't because I always pronounce it Hyper Bowl! :oops: :D
I thought that was a game of American Football.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Horse

Post by Horse »

Nah, 'Listerene'.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Your relationship with direct line feels a little unusual, Scotsrich. Surely they, as the other party's insurers, would be expected to act in the other driver's interest, not yours? If I'm right, be careful that they don't turn round at some point and say they'll only paying x% of the claim.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Scootabout wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:11 pm Your relationship with direct line feels a little unusual, Scotsrich. Surely they, as the other party's insurers, would be expected to act in the other driver's interest, not yours? If I'm right, be careful that they don't turn round at some point and say they'll only paying x% of the claim.
You’d think so but it’s a well established course of action. I’ve used it before when a young guy rear ended my car.

Basically by going direct to the third party’s insurance you are potentially saving them a lot of money.

If I’d gone to my insurance they won’t deal with it themselves. It would get passed to an accident management company who’s whole raison d’etre is to make the incident as expensive as possible. One of the ways they do this is ‘hire’ you a vehicle, usually at an extortionate price which is billed to my insurance. Then of course the bike would be expected to go to their preferred repairer.

Direct Line don’t do motorbikes so they don’t have that facility. Basically I was asked where I wanted it to go, which was the BMW main dealer and not some backstreet chop shop.

They’ve accepted full responsibility both verbally (within 2 hours of me contacting them) and by letter so I’m not concerned about it getting fixed. There’s a 5 year warranty on all repairs.

Quite honestly if it’s a clear ‘no fault’ accident on your part I’d always recommend doing that. It’s something that isn’t really well known however.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Don't forget that you will be asked about any claims at renewal, so will be obliged to tell your insurer then. Might even be worth checking the small print now.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Horse wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:48 am Don't forget that you will be asked about any claims at renewal, so will be obliged to tell your insurer then. Might even be worth checking the small print now.
I've already told them.

Noted down 'for information only'.

Biggest PITA is I'm going to have to regurgitate all the details on every insurance quote for the next 5 years.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Scotsrich wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:23 am
Horse wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:48 am Don't forget that you will be asked about any claims at renewal, so will be obliged to tell your insurer then. Might even be worth checking the small print now.
I've already told them.

Noted down 'for information only'.

Biggest PITA is I'm going to have to regurgitate all the details on every insurance quote for the next 5 years.
And potentially get loaded for just being there, it seems.

Filly's car was punted, other insurer paid in full. As she's a named driver on my policy I had to declare the crash - and got a bigger renewal fee!