What bike...

Anything you like about motorbikes
Mr. Dazzle

Re: What bike...

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

BTW if I were in the position I would spend £200k. I honestly don't think I enjoy the actual tinkering very much...really not sure. I reckon if I had the means I'd much rather tell other people to go away and actually make the stuff I've come up with. Making sparks and smelling fumes isn't really my thing all that much I don't reckon.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:28 pm BTW if I were in the position I would spend £200k. I honestly don't think I enjoy the actual tinkering very much...really not sure. I reckon if I had the means I'd much rather tell other people to go away and actually make the stuff I've come up with. Making sparks and smelling fumes isn't really my thing all that much I don't reckon.
Whereas I would spend my ill gotten gains on a massive workshop with enough fancy pants toolage so that I could do it myself. I just don't have enough lifetimes to do it all.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

200k would just about cover one moderately fancy pants machine these days I reckon.
Potter

Post by Potter »

If I had billions I still don't think I'd be spending 200k on a new custom bike because it's not worth that, at least to me anyway, not when there is still plenty of off-the-shelf bikes that would be as good or better.

I'd also choose a £150k Porsche GT3 rather than give someone a million for a custom car that might be individual but not better.

But I suppose I still have some sense of the value of things, if I was rich enough for long enough then I'd probably spend the money and buy the 200k bike because the money stops being worth anything then.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Not allowed custom vehicles here :(
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Whysub wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:19 pm I'd buy a Vincent and a Brough as my daily runarounds, just because I could. And they aren't difficult to maintain (from what I read).

Not that keen on giving to the poor. I give to heart and cancer research as any breakthrough will benefit everyone, rich or poor, wherever they are.
No need to just hand out the cash to the poor. If you had that sort of money there's loads of things you could do that you might find interesting and could even generate some money. Start a bike renovation workshop, employ somebody good and train some youngsters to do the mechanicals/paint etc. They might even build you something better than Brad's bike. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Or you could give 200k to the people who've already done that.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'd spend it all on drugs and hookers.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:54 pm Or you could give 200k to the people who've already done that.
They are in America, you aren't involved and can't use their facilities as and when you want. They're not spannering your Brough either. :D

Or your Triumph. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:10 pm If I had billions I still don't think I'd be spending 200k on a new custom bike because it's not worth that, at least to me anyway, not when there is still plenty of off-the-shelf bikes that would be as good or better.

Depends what you mean by custom. I could easily spend 200k making what I would consider to be a custom bike...but as I'm sure you could imagine my idea of custom would be somewhat more involved than most.

I wouldn't pay 200k for someone else's engine in a half (or even three quarters) baked welded tubular frame, no.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:52 pm
Potter wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:10 pm If I had billions I still don't think I'd be spending 200k on a new custom bike because it's not worth that, at least to me anyway, not when there is still plenty of off-the-shelf bikes that would be as good or better.

Depends what you mean by custom. I could easily spend 200k making what I would consider to be a custom bike...but as I'm sure you could imagine my idea of custom would be somewhat more involved than most.

I wouldn't pay 200k for someone else's engine in a half (or even three quarters) baked welded tubular frame, no.
How and on what?

Considering something like a 1290/panigale or whatever is remarkable, what would you actually comission?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Well that is part of the reason I wouldn't bother....you can get really good stuff as it is! But bear in mind if you were to make one Panigale (i.e. you can't take am engine off the shelf, the frame isn't bent and welded tube etc) as some sort of hypothetical custom you'd be looking at 7 figures easy.

The only sort of thing I'd build would be something like the Britten.

A set of tools to make "proper" structural carbon bodywork would be 5 or maybe 6 figures no problem. Before you've even made anything.

Time to actually design said bodywork....5 figures spent for someone who knows what they're doing. I'd probably do that myself though!

Not even gonna countenance a custom engine of any sort, that would be a stupid idea. Factory stuff is gonna be better and cheaper, until you're spending millions.

Obviously doing the legwork yourself cuts down on that ALOT, but I'm neither interested or skilled enough to do that.

I suppose its fairer to say I'm not interested in anything less than factory standards. So I'm basically paying for a factory custom...and there's only really one vaguely comparable kind of bike out there for that, factory racers and prototype racers. Famously cheap of course!

Realitically, making "proper" motorbikes is fucking expensive.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Alan Millyard makes some interesting custom stuff, he uses available stuff but, for example, will cut two engines in half and weld a custom crankcase.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yeah I thought about him a bit....I reckon if you did an honest appraisal of how much time etc. he spends the bikes would cost more than you think.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:48 am Yeah I thought about him a bit....I reckon if you did an honest appraisal of how much time etc. he spends the bikes would cost more than you think.
https://thekneeslider.com/two-allen-mil ... -h1-850-5/

This implies £90,000 (for the pair) so a long long long way from $200,000
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

That's why I said "honest"....how much does Mr Millyard spend doing it, including all his time? How much more would he have to spend to also have a dealer, admin staff, marketing etc?

You could argue that in his case he's well enough known that he'd sell them from word of mouth. How much did he 'spend' to get there?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:30 am That's why I said "honest"....how much does Mr Millyard spend doing it, including all his time? How much more would he have to spend to also have a dealer, admin staff, marketing etc?

You could argue that in his case he's well enough known that he'd sell them from word of mouth. How much did he 'spend' to get there?
I'm not sure what his honesty in his hours have to do with it ? We're talking about the retail price of buying the bike, not how much time and effort someone put into it surely ?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

How can you divorce the time spent making a bike from the cost of it? That's makes no sense.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:39 am How can you divorce the time spent making a bike from the cost of it? That's makes no sense.
Because we're the customer.... nothing apart from the price to pay actually matters. If it takes the bloke 10,000 man hours it doesn't matter as long as the price is reasonable, in this case of Millyards bike, it seems to be £45,000 for a bike (which didn't sell at that price). Even if it cost him £100,000 to make it.... well who cares as he's selling it for £45,000
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Only if he's willing to donate you 55k of his time. Thats why I said honest.

There are some companies which operate at the a loss like that on some vehciles, I doubt these custom manufacturers are among them.