Pfizer vaccine approved

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Count Steer

Re: Pfizer vaccine approved

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:00 pm
Mussels wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:52 pm That was cleared up quietly, so much for the EU song and dance about suing them.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58426880
EU and AstraZeneca reach deal to end vaccine row
Brussels' tardiness has cost a lot of lives but hey, they're not elected so they can't be got rid of.
Not elected? Meh. The Australian government were elected, Trump was elected, the Polish government was elected, our spivs were elected.
The ballot box is no guarantee of competence or of the selection of those with generally beneficial intent. It's just, possibly, the least worst option which puts the choice of government in the hands of those with the fewest qualifications to actually choose one.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:19 am
irie wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:00 pm
Mussels wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:52 pm That was cleared up quietly, so much for the EU song and dance about suing them.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58426880
Brussels' tardiness has cost a lot of lives but hey, they're not elected so they can't be got rid of.
Not elected? Meh. The Australian government were elected, Trump was elected, the Polish government was elected, our spivs were elected.
The ballot box is no guarantee of competence or of the selection of those with generally beneficial intent. It's just, possibly, the least worst option which puts the choice of government in the hands of those with the fewest qualifications to actually choose one.
No, they weren't elected.

Whether or not those who are elected are competent to do their jobs is another issue, as you say.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

So do we think that the government will go against the JCVI advice and routinely vaccinate the under 16s?

If they do it will pretty much disregard medical ethical standards as they are currently understood.
irie

Post by irie »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:21 pm So do we think that the government will go against the JCVI advice and routinely vaccinate the under 16s?

If they do it will pretty much disregard medical ethical standards as they are currently understood.
Given that the decision to vaccinate on purely medical grounds appears to be marginal, it may be that vaccinating 12-16 year old in order to avoid the wider educational and social impact of school closures is justifiable. On balance, I think it probably is.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

irie wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:24 pm
wheelnut wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:21 pm So do we think that the government will go against the JCVI advice and routinely vaccinate the under 16s?

Given that the decision to vaccinate on purely medical grounds appears to be marginal, it may be that vaccinating 12-16 year old in order to avoid the wider educational and social impact of school closures is justifiable. On balance, I think it is.
The problem with that approach, is that it goes against the good of the individual that’s been treated. If the net benefit to the patient is on the negative side of the scales (and it appears that it is) then the treatment shouldn’t be given. Doctors are obliged to give (or not give) a treatment that is best for that particular patient. That it may or may not be beneficial for the wider population cannot enter the reasoning.

I’m not sure how the government can swerve that without a major shift in the way the medical profession handles treatment.
irie

Post by irie »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:38 pm
irie wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:24 pm

Given that the decision to vaccinate on purely medical grounds appears to be marginal, it may be that vaccinating 12-16 year old in order to avoid the wider educational and social impact of school closures is justifiable. On balance, I think it is.
The problem with that approach, is that it goes against the good of the individual that’s been treated. If the net benefit to the patient is on the negative side of the scales (and it appears that it is) then the treatment shouldn’t be given. Doctors are obliged to give (or not give) a treatment that is best for that particular patient. That it may or may not be beneficial for the wider population cannot enter the reasoning.

I’m not sure how the government can swerve that without a major shift in the way the medical profession handles treatment.
No, as said above, it appears that the net medical benefit to the patient is marginal. That is to say, difficult to assess as being medically either advantageous or disadvantageous.

But
it may be that vaccinating 12-16 year old in order to avoid the wider educational and social impact of school closures is justifiable.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

irie wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:43 pm No, as said above, it appears that the net medical benefit to the patient is marginal. That is to say, difficult to assess as being medically either advantageous or disadvantageous.
I think you’ve answered your own question there. If the medical benefits of giving a drug to a patient can’t be quantified then it shouldn’t be given.
it may be that vaccinating 12-16 year old in order to avoid the wider educational and social impact of school closures is justifiable.
And that has to be totally irrelevant to the medic giving the jab. They have to believe that’s it’s of a medical benefit to that patient.

The government may decide that it’s the way forward. My point is that if they do then it will go against established medical ethics.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Are doctor's really that blinkered that they only consider individual cases in isolation and ignore wider impacts?
I doubt it unless they are worried about being sued.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mussels wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:46 pm Are doctor's really that blinkered that they only consider individual cases in isolation and ignore wider impacts?
It’s not blinkered at all. You cannot give one person a drug that may cause more harm than benefit to that patient for the benefit of someone else.

It’s nothing to do with being sued, it’s a case of following their own code of conduct.
irie

Post by irie »

Mussels wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:46 pm Are doctor's really that blinkered that they only consider individual cases in isolation and ignore wider impacts?
Doctors are charged with the sole consideration being that of the patient.

Others must consider wider implications.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

irie wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:15 pm
Doctors are charged with the sole consideration being that of the patient.

Others must consider wider implications.
I don't think that's true otherwise they wouldn't be able to refuse abortions.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mussels wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:42 pm I don't think that's true otherwise they wouldn't be able to refuse abortions.
You’re going to have to explain that one a bit further. Plus I’m not sure doctors do refuse abortions (where it’s legal).

What we’re talking about is using kids as a means to protect adults.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

wheelnut wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:40 am
Mussels wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:42 pm I don't think that's true otherwise they wouldn't be able to refuse abortions.
You’re going to have to explain that one a bit further. Plus I’m not sure doctors do refuse abortions (where it’s legal).

What we’re talking about is using kids as a means to protect adults.
Doctors are allowed conscientious objection to ignore the best interests of their patient (the mother) and preserve the life of another (the foetus). They don't need to justify their actions to ignore the patient.
It's the other way round but shows that the rule is not black & white.
They could also decide it is in a child's best interest that its guardians don't catch covid, if they wanted children to have the vaccine they could have justified it.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mussels wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:50 am Doctors are allowed conscientious objection to ignore the best interests of their patient (the mother) and preserve the life of another (the foetus). They don't need to justify their actions to ignore the patient.
It's the other way round but shows that the rule is not black & white.
You’re talking about a different thing. Yes a doctor can decline to treat a patient where they disagree with a procedure on moral grounds, effectively referring that patient to another doctor.

That is different from giving an individual patient a treatment that could cause a net harm
They could also decide it is in a child's best interest that its guardians don't catch covid, if they wanted children to have the vaccine they could have justified it.
That’s the crux, we can’t use kids as a means to protect adults. That’s where it goes against current medical ethics.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

The doctors didn't say vaccines caused net harm, they said the benefit was marginal.
I'd say on an individual level the benefit of the MMR vaccine is marginal, if a child doesn't have it they are still unlikely to suffer from the illnesses it protects against. That's because most others have had it.
I guess the question with the covid vaccine is whether it prevents anyone catching or spreading it, if all it does is reduce symptoms then I agree with the doctors but I don't know if there's enough evidence to support that.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mussels wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:11 am The doctors didn't say vaccines caused net harm, they said the benefit was marginal.
I'd say on an individual level the benefit of the MMR vaccine is marginal, if a child doesn't have it they are still unlikely to suffer from the illnesses it protects against. That's because most others have had it.
I guess the question with the covid vaccine is whether it prevents anyone catching or spreading it, if all it does is reduce symptoms then I agree with the doctors but I don't know if there's enough evidence to support that.
They say;
As evidence shows that COVID-19 rarely causes severe disease in children without underlying health conditions, at this time the JCVI’s view is that the minimal health benefits of offering universal COVID-19 vaccination to children do not outweigh the potential risks.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/jcvi ... ung-people

It does seem to help stop transmission, but not anywhere near as much as was hoped.

I reckon the government will give the go ahead for it, but my main point is that it will show a major shift in accepted ethics. The JCVI have recognised that but the government are looking to change the goalposts- which is quite a big deal.

I wonder if we will get any doctors refusing to jab kids?
irie

Post by irie »

My guess is that by/during winter the goalposts will have been moved by a double whammy of Covid and 'flu.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

wheelnut wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:35 am
I reckon the government will give the go ahead for it, but my main point is that it will show a major shift in accepted ethics. The JCVI have recognised that but the government are looking to change the goalposts- which is quite a big deal.

Governments (and advising scientists) will take more into account than the SAGE review did. They may consider longer term factors of disrupted education for example. eg obesity and wealth are linked, education and subsequent wealth are linked. Reducing disruption to education has many potential benefits for children that look beyond the '60 children per million may suffer side effects' analysis.

Economically, reducing disruption to education reduces disruption to the labour force and enables some families to keep earning which again can impact beneficially on a child's well-being.

It's not an a+b=c problem, which may explain why several major governments have gone ahead with vaccination.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:45 am
wheelnut wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:35 am

Governments (and advising scientists) will take more into account than the SAGE review did. They may consider longer term factors of disrupted education for example. eg obesity and wealth are linked, education and subsequent wealth are linked. Reducing disruption to education has many potential benefits for children that look beyond the '60 children per million may suffer side effects' analysis.

Economically, reducing disruption to education reduces disruption to the labour force and enables some families to keep earning which again can impact beneficially on a child's well-being.

It's not an a+b=c problem, which may explain why several major governments have gone ahead with vaccination.
All valid concerns, but not relevant to a doctor who is making a decision to give a treatment to a patient where the approving body have decided that the risks outweigh the benefits.

For other countries , I think, but could be wrong, that they have approved the use saying that the medical benefits outweigh the risks.
irie

Post by irie »

wheelnut wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:32 am
For other countries , I think, but could be wrong, that they have approved the use saying that the medical benefits outweigh the risks.
As CS says, that probably depends upon how narrowly/widely "medical benefits" are considered.