What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
KungFooBob

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by KungFooBob »

Insured both cars on a Multicar policy with Admiral for £565 (£365 for the SL and £200 for the Aygo)... which is about £100 cheaper than the cheapest I could find two separate policies.

The renewal with LV was £900 (last year is was £600), they wanted £600 for the SL alone!!!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Trinity765 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:35 am Picked up my bike yesterday. I'm off to Wales tomorrow, back Wednesday so have booked it back in for Thursday ;)

No time to clean it before I go so it still has Pembery track day weekend dirt on it :( I asked them when the last oil/filter change was and despite all the work they've carried out on it this year (clutch, alternator gasket, cams/cam basket, cam tensioner all at different times) they said February when it was serviced grrrrr. So I'll be doing that as soon as it's back.
I'd have guessed that the clutch at least would require you to drain the oil from the engine (not necessarily though)...nice of them to put the old stuff back in :D
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:47 am I'd have guessed that the clutch at least would require you to drain the oil from the engine (not necessarily though)...nice of them to put the old stuff back in :D
They'll have layed it over on an old matress.
Potter

Post by Potter »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:52 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:47 am I'd have guessed that the clutch at least would require you to drain the oil from the engine (not necessarily though)...nice of them to put the old stuff back in :D
They'll have layed it over on an old matress.
An old mattress? That's posh, my MX bikes on their side on a concrete floor with a rag under the grip on the garage floor to mess with the clutch.
Potter

Post by Potter »

slowsider wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:36 am
Potter wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:12 am
I went for a swim to cool off, managed six lengths (of a 12m pool) and was buggered.
it's so nice to have staff :D
At my age you have to take whatever you can get ;)
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Not today, but last night- went to see John Bishop on stage, I've previously thought he's alright but never been a particular fan of his, but he was brilliant, haven't laughed that much for a long time- the other two comics (Nathan Caton and one other who's name currently escapes me ) were really good too, a great night :thumbup:
Skub

Post by Skub »

I had a run out today,it wasn't the best ever.

Yesterday was great weather,but life prevented me from taking a spin,so I set off early today.

It was dry,then damp,bloody cold at times and patchy mizzle,plus some vehicle had dropped stuff on the road,which caused a front and rear momentary loss of traction. Fair woke me up. :shock:

There'll be better days. :roll:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

I’m day 9 into 21 day quarantine in Hong Kong, so mind numbingly depressing!!! Thank god for Netflix
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Went to work - the Golden Child has gone to the End of The Road with my brother .
Noticed the NC needs a new front tyre.
We are off to Bath for a weekend tomorrow .
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

r1flyguy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:08 pm I’m day 9 into 21 day quarantine in Hong Kong, so mind numbingly depressing!!! Thank god for Netflix
Jeez thought Japan was bad enough at 14 .
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

asmethurst99 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:10 pm
r1flyguy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:08 pm I’m day 9 into 21 day quarantine in Hong Kong, so mind numbingly depressing!!! Thank god for Netflix
Jeez thought Japan was bad enough at 14 .
It was 14 up until 20th August then changed the policy, my vaccinations were under the HKG system with promise of better quarantine procedures….. it’s just got worse !!!!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just had the most amazing dog walk. The missus is off to UK next week for 3 weeks, so was thinking of things to do :)

Anyway, my best man Al, started chatting via Whatsapp to say he's off to Tenerife next week with his family and asked how far away we are as he wants to meet up :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Straight away a pal pulled over on his Guzzi and we started chatting. I said I was free for a while and he agreed on a day trip to Fuerteventura with the gang. :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Then he dropped the bombshell. He has to go over to Gran Canaria the week after to test ride a a new bike and wants me and the boys to tag along for a few days :obscene-birdiedoublered:

GC is very close to Tenerife so easy to meet up with Al :obscene-birdiedoublered:

That was an insane 5 minutes :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Gonna be a busy boy
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I've cooked more stuff. Not with courgettes today!! But the chocolate and courgettes brownies from yesterday are way nicer than they deserve to be with courgette as a big part of the ingredients!! LOL

I need to practice my ratatouille. My physio was saying how amazing Ratatouille is so I came home and had some of mine for tea - gotta be doing something wrong!! LOL Oh, he did say there should be augergines in it :o :o They weren't in the recipe!! LOL

I've tidied and sorted some stuff. Trying to sort a load of medical stuff into the right folders!! LOL I love the system here in general but it's a smidge paperwork heavy - and you are supposed to take the relevant paperwork to each different medical person you see!! :lol: I have girl stuff, knee stuff, shoulder stuff, surgeon stuff (crosses over with shoulder stuff, but not all the same), rehab stuff and a blood tests file (that has to be taken for various different RDVs!! LOL). I'm bloody brilliant at sorting paperwork for other people/sorting offices into a sensible working setup. Totally rubbish at doing my own stuff!! I guess that the time to sort it out really isn't when my brain is melting and rolling around in my head being useless, but the pile of papers was annoying me!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The desk next to mine belongs to a chap from Hong Kong, he took up the visa offer the UK government have for HK nationals to come live here.

He works for our parent company (who are HK based).

Over the last few weeks we been quizzing him about life in HK and what he finds different.

He says that the UK is pretty much the same as HK, the street signs look the same, post boxes, they even have fish and chips shops (I suppose it was a UK colony for a long time).

But this morning he comes to me with half a packet of crumpets.

"My wife bought be these, but they taste awful"

I've just told him that they should really be toasted before eating.

He's been eating them dry and untoasted. Yuk!
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

038CD035-158E-4CFF-B65D-AD2C22B0863D.jpeg
038CD035-158E-4CFF-B65D-AD2C22B0863D.jpeg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 307 times
No more leaky chimney!
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:52 am The desk next to mine belongs to a chap from Hong Kong, he took up the visa offer the UK government have for HK nationals to come live here.

He works for our parent company (who are HK based).

Over the last few weeks we been quizzing him about life in HK and what he finds different.

He says that the UK is pretty much the same as HK, the street signs look the same, post boxes, they even have fish and chips shops (I suppose it was a UK colony for a long time).

Do they eat a lot of fried chicken's feet in Barnsley?
Are parent company is also HK, I've never heard anyone from HK say that the UK is anything like HK - though our HK visitors love UK Chinese restaurants.
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:58 pm 038CD035-158E-4CFF-B65D-AD2C22B0863D.jpeg

No more leaky chimney!
Nice drop wire poked through the tiles
Honda Owner
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Sitting here remembering part of a conversation yesterday with the physio. When we were talking about food he said that his dad used to work for an F1 team and when they went to Silverstone, they all went up to the canteen type thing (maybe buffet?!)

Anyway, apparently his dad was horrified to be offered Potato Skins!! :lol:

I could only see Antoine's eyes but the horror was on his face too!! LOL

He said - you know, potatoes are good without skins, or with skins. WHY would take the skins off and serve them on their own??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't have an answer, but I laughed a LOT - and I'm still giggling!! LOL :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:59 pm
He said - you know, potatoes are good without skins, or with skins. WHY would take the skins off and serve them on their own??
We were on a week long hike in France and, at one of the mountain overnights, they served raclette (*shudder* - ski resort comedy food). The baked spuds had the skins on and we calmly ate 'em skin and all while the French meticulously peeled them. One of the kids just sat goggle eyed at these spud-skin-eating barbarians. I think he forgot to eat he was absolutely transfixed. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:12 pm the French meticulously peeled them. One of the kids just sat goggle eyed at these spud-skin-eating barbarians.
My favourite bit from Mock the Week, 'Things you would never hear in France'. "An ziz beet of ze animal we do not eat, we throw eet away!"
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: