The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Pirahna

Re: The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

Post by Pirahna »

I won't wear anything unless the toe box is wide enough and it's flat, if we were meant to have raised heels on shoes when we'd have raised heels on our heels (can't believe I've just typed that). Shoes should be bendy, just like feet, buy the right shoes and your feet will grow stronger, no fallen arches or other complaints. Toe box should be wide to accommodate the way feet splay naturally.

I'll be buying some new running shoes at the weekend, probably Altra. Other brands I'll buy are Inov8, Xero, Vivobarefoot, there's a few others, a good go with Google and you'll be in the groove. I own a pair of Birkenstocks, they make safety boots which fit a couple of my criteria, they've a decent size toe box and they're flat, the steel mid sole means they're not so bendy.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

A new to me toaster after the previous POS died when the pop up mechanism jammed.
82714528-8CE9-4CFE-A209-4DBBDF3379FF.png
82714528-8CE9-4CFE-A209-4DBBDF3379FF.png (423.32 KiB) Viewed 356 times
There are a few scratches in the stainless steel(?) panel which I’d like to polish out if anyone has any ideas.

The cream ends will likely get stripped and painted once we get around to refitting the kitchen in a few years time.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Paint the whole thing (without masking any of it off) with rattle can black BBQ paint, give it that 'rat' look.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Silly Car wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:56 am A new to me toaster after the previous POS died when the pop up mechanism jammed.

There are a few scratches in the stainless steel(?) panel which I’d like to polish out if anyone has any ideas.

The cream ends will likely get stripped and painted once we get around to refitting the kitchen in a few years time.
I think it's stainless and not plated - it says stainless in the ads. You could try taking it off and seeing what works on the inside. Dremel + buffing wheel + some sort of polish. Mildly abrasive toothpaste might even work?
It used to be that every part was available as spares when they were primarily aimed at hotels etc. Don't know if that's still the case but I suspect you could get a replacement.
Either way it's a £160+ toaster that could outlast another owner or two.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I used Peek to polish my Dualit, mostly cause I have a massive tin of it to deal with the real chrome on my old Triumphs. Worked a treat, just keep it away from the food bits as best you can!
David

Post by David »

I didnt know triumph made toasters.....
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:49 pm
Silly Car wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:56 am A new to me toaster after the previous POS died when the pop up mechanism jammed.

I think it's stainless and not plated - it says stainless in the ads. You could try taking it off and seeing what works on the inside. Dremel + buffing wheel + some sort of polish. Mildly abrasive toothpaste might even work?
It used to be that every part was available as spares when they were primarily aimed at hotels etc. Don't know if that's still the case but I suspect you could get a replacement.
Either way it's a £160+ toaster that could outlast another owner or two.
Mine for £60 inc postage ;)

It appears switches, timers and elements are readily available from the Dualit website. It might be worth an email / phone call to see how much / availability of the cover.
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:52 pm I used Peek to polish my Dualit, mostly cause I have a massive tin of it to deal with the real chrome on my old Triumphs. Worked a treat, just keep it away from the food bits as best you can!
Cheers, it is partly your fault I bought one given your review in my kettle / toaster thread ages ago. I’ve got brasso and solvitol somewhere at home so might try them.
David wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:30 pm I didnt know triumph made toasters.....
Built in tray to catch the oil / crumbs ;)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Duolit are great toasters. Use a bit of Autosol to polish up the steel.

They come apart dead easy and all the bits are replaceable.

I had one. It was given away, unbeknownst to me, and replaced with the cheapest, nastiest one imaginable.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I was so impressed with the toaster, I bought their kettle umpteen years ago too :thumbup:
Sis-in-law ran a b&b and must have got through 12 cheap toasters and 6 kettles in the same period.
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The only criticism I have of the Dualit is that toast round one takes say...2 minutes....whereas toast round two takes about 19 seconds. :D I burn far more toast than I should.

It takes a while to get going but once she's hot she flies! TBF it is meant as a catering one for constant use.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:30 pm The only criticism I have of the Dualit is that toast round one takes say...2 minutes....whereas toast round two takes about 19 seconds. :D I burn far more toast than I should.

It takes a while to get going but once she's hot she flies! TBF it is meant as a catering one for constant use.
Not had that problem as usually it's 4 slices and done. My main issue is forgetting to switch between 2 and 4 slices which is more of a problem if it's on 4 but only 2 slices in. The other is that we don't buy sliced bread so slicing skillz needed. :D
Voltaire
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:56 pm The other is that we don't buy sliced bread
You should, it's the best thing since... oh.
cheb

Post by cheb »

One of the treats about staying in some hotels is using the chain toaster. The instant pancake machines are fun too.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

cheb wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:17 pm One of the treats about staying in some hotels is using the chain toaster. The instant pancake machines are fun too.
They had those chain toasters in my halls at Uni. They were all set to "cremate" with the controls locked. You had to develop the skill of frisbeeing your bit of bread in so it landed part way down the belt, the target spot of course corresponding to your desired level of doneness.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mrs. Gremlin likes a bit of toasted baguette and, after all these years, I think it's safe to confess that she put a thick wad of baguette on the chain toaster situated in the breakfast room of the rather splendid Princess Yaiza hotel. It got stuck and ignited. Cue a pall of black smoke, alarms going off and frantic staff trying to maintain order as it was switched off and covered with a damp cloth.
Mrs Gremlin slipped away in the confusion and never 'fessed up . :lol:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

The Sergeant's Mess would invariably have a 6 slice version. As others have said they are excellent and amazingly, I could get one here.

Unfortunately, the cost is prohibitive, 3192 TL for the 4 slice version you have, currently that's about £277.

There's no way I'm going to be toasting enough bread to justify that!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mine was second hand for about £50 ISTR. Second hand doesn't mean much with a trigger's broom Dualit.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I hate queuing at the conveyor toaster. Dualit FTW!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Dualit make hotel 'conveyor' toasters.

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yambo wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:17 pm
Unfortunately, the cost is prohibitive, 3192 TL for the 4 slice version you have, currently that's about £277.
Blimey they must have revalued the TL a few times. 3192TL must have been about 40p once upon a time. Every time I went and tried to pay with cash I'd had since the previous trip they'd look at it, laugh and hand back a fistful saying 'kaput'. :D

Bought a rug in Konya. I think it was 3million+ (can that be right? :shock: ).

Conveyor belt toasters are OK provided no-one else is allowed to use 'em/change the settings. At a place we go you either have to put the bread through twice so it's dried rather than toasted or it looks like you've elected a pope from the smoke signals. :cry:
Voltaire