What bikes would you never ride?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Dickyboy

Re: What bikes would you never ride?

Post by Dickyboy »

Can't think of any motorbikes I wouldn't ride, although I'm none too keen on old bikes, one thing I won't ride ever again is a push bike with euro brake set up.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Dickyboy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:07 pm Can't think of any motorbikes I wouldn't ride, although I'm none too keen on old bikes, one thing I won't ride ever again is a push bike with euro brake set up.
Bought my pushbike in Spain, nearly stacked it on my first ride not realising the brakes were reversed.

I quickly adapted to ride with a left hand gear lever after having a bike with a right hand lever. Getting used to a LHD car was easy.

Imagine having to ride a motorbike with the hand controls reversed, i.e. brake and throttle on the left, clutch on the right.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Whysub wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:21 pm
Dickyboy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:07 pm Can't think of any motorbikes I wouldn't ride, although I'm none too keen on old bikes, one thing I won't ride ever again is a push bike with euro brake set up.
Bought my pushbike in Spain, nearly stacked it on my first ride not realising the brakes were reversed.

I quickly adapted to ride with a left hand gear lever after having a bike with a right hand lever. Getting used to a LHD car was easy.

Imagine having to ride a motorbike with the hand controls reversed, i.e. brake and throttle on the left, clutch on the right.
I just switched the levers round :banana-dance:
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

just switched the levers round
I was on a hire bike on La Gomera, nearly went over an armco barrier panic braking into a hairpin bend, never again.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Yorick wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:34 pm I just switched the levers round :banana-dance:
Mine has hydraulic brakes, so just switched the lines over. I could have got used to it, but in a moment of panic? Nope.

Plus I have a scooter for local trips, and that has the levers on the right sides too. No need to add confusion at my age.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:40 pm
Whysub wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:38 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:09 pm Bol d'Or 1988... before it rained!

Bol 88 03.jpg
Before it rained? That would have been about q976 then. It ALWAYS rains at the Bol d'Or....
I was there the same year as Spin was on about ...... it didnt just rain ..... it was too wet for Noah to take the Ark out of dock. We went as we thought it would be sunny in the south of France. Only year the Bol was stopped as it was too dangerous to ride and the camp sites were flooded
I went in 86, the weather was superb, just as well, my luggage consisted of a sleeping bag, a polythene sheet and a big pile of francs.
Honda Owner
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I went in 86, the weather was superb, just as well, my luggage consisted of a sleeping bag, a polythene sheet and a big pile of francs.
I

Small world,that was my first Bol,rode my ex proddy raced 250 LC to that one.The right side saddlebag went up in smoke at one stage due to the silencer being bent up a bit from a crash somewhere.
Apart from that the LC went well,even managed a couple of cheeky laps of the circuit on the Monday morning.
That was a bike I'd definitely ride again,although they're daft money now...
dern

Post by dern »

Whysub wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:23 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:34 pm I just switched the levers round :banana-dance:
Mine has hydraulic brakes, so just switched the lines over. I could have got used to it, but in a moment of panic? Nope.

Plus I have a scooter for local trips, and that has the levers on the right sides too. No need to add confusion at my age.
I bought my daughter an aprilia 50 moped/scooter a couple of years ago and was having a right laugh 'testing' it out until I forgot what I was on and tried to pull the clutch in going fast(ish) in to a roundabout. I don't know who the resulting skid (no clutch, was the rear brake) scared more, me or the guy stuck behind me.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Bustaspoke wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:28 pm
I

Small world,that was my first Bol,rode my ex proddy raced 250 LC to that one.The right side saddlebag went up in smoke at one stage due to the silencer being bent up a bit from a crash somewhere.
Apart from that the LC went well,even managed a couple of cheeky laps of the circuit on the Monday morning.
Mine wasn't the only UK 250LC there then, though mine was standard, apart from it's rattle can Marlboro paint job.
Honda Owner
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Wouldn't switching the cables have worked better? ;)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Bustaspoke wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:28 pm
I

Can't recall which year was my first... I can tell you the funny front end 'Nessie' was there. Might have been 79.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:48 pm
Way easier just to cross your arms while you're riding :thumbsup:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:48 pm
All one unit thingies