Triumph Tiger Sport 660

Anything you like about motorbikes
KungFooBob

Triumph Tiger Sport 660

Post by KungFooBob »

I guess it's using the same motor as the 660 Trident.

Look out Tracer?
KungFooBob

Re: Triumph Tiger Sport 660

Post by KungFooBob »

Actually looks like it's the same frame, etc.. as the Trident.

So it's just a jacked up Trident with a fairing?

The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:58 pm Actually looks like it's the same frame, etc.. as the Trident.

So it's just a jacked up Trident with a fairing?
Is there anything wrong with that?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
G.P

Post by G.P »

Good Idea, looks like its got no ADV pretensions either.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Frankly, it's the bike Triumph should have built a decade ago... an inexpensive, relatively uncomplicated middleweight with a bit of do-anything, go-anywhere about it.

I tried the Tiger 800 expecting it to fill that roll. I borrowed my buddy's for the day, expecting to love it after all the rave reviews... and really didn't like it at all. The 19" front wheel gave it odd handling characteristics when pushing on a bit behind a 'spirited' trainee - it got where I wanted it to, but it wasn't effortless. And the motor, which I was expecting to be torquey, just seemed to have a flat curve which didn't really do anything anywhere. The aerodynamics behind the screen induced such a racket and rattle in the helmet that the trainee couldn't hear the radio. And it was top-heavy and not particularly comfortable. I had been on the verge of buying one, but borrowing it for the day turned me right off.

And alarmingly, Keith had put 30k on his when it started to smoke - and that made me look around - there don't seem to be nearly as many about as there were when they first came out. He chopped it in right away for his post-male menopause S1000SR.

Let's hope the 660 Tiger is better than that.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I felt much the same about my Tiger 800XC, it was average at everything and good at nothing. I think the triple motor was the biggest disappointment.

I had just sold a 1000 Varadero, it was massively top heavy, but that detuned Firestorm motor when fitted with EFI had some proper low down stomp.

On paper the Tiger had more power and was lighter, but I'd take a Varadero over one any day.

I dunno why the Varadero gets just a slating, the Mk2 like mine was EFI and had 6 gears, it was a cracking bike for touring and pillion duties.
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:10 pmmale menopause
AKA the menoporsche
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: