Back in the saddle

Anything you like about motorbikes
Bigyin

Re: Back in the saddle

Post by Bigyin »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:34 am No, what I meant was that there was a loophole that allowed an instructor 'in training'' - ie not downtrained so effectively totally unqualified - to deliver training to riders AFTER they had a valid CBT but whilst they were still on L plates and riding anything up to a 125 - so either training for the test or even doing a couple of days on 125s before transitioning to DAS bikes.

CBTs themselves and DAS courses have always had to be run by a qualified instructor but the less-scrupulous schools used to send out these 'in training' instructors with a bunch of L platers on 125s to practise for the bike test itself.

CSM, who were the dominant force in bike training through the 80s and 90s with schools all over the country used to do this... they also didn't pay the 'in training' instructor whilst they were doing a day's work earning money for the company... which is why my tenure with them only lasted a couple of months.

The reason I'm asking is that it had vaguely crossed my mind about having a word with a local school about doing a bit of casual 'fill-in' work - I'm sure they're full up with CBTs and a bit of extra training on 125s right now. After three months with no work I could do with a bit of cash - but I really can't be @rsed to go through the rigmarole of getting a CBT / DAS card again - mine lapsed back in 2007.
Ah, get it now....... Absolutely not where i work as we also have had a couple of ex instructors casually "drop in" and ask if there is any chance of something similar. Saying that we have also had fully ticketed instructors affiliated to bike shops call up asking for work as well as their bike shops were shut .

Dont know about "less scrupulous" schools but you will probably have a better idea of contacts locally to where you are.

The main problem is that the DAS instructors have also had no work for the past 3-4 months so they have been also taking CBT work on to make ends meet which has hit my hours a bit and driven them mental. :D
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Hot_Air wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:46 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:06 pm I get the 'badge collectors' too... one wrote up a really snotty report on a RoSPA group site
I got a lot from RoSPA training. But I think the way RoSPA positions a Gold award – “the highest civilian riding qualification” – causes problems with some Gold holders (not all). Yes, you have to deliver an excellent ride for 90 minutes to attain Gold. It’s no mean feat, but it doesn’t imbue you with the Wisdom of Haslam.* One Gold standard ride shouldn’t make you too big for your Daytonas. Getting an A grade at A-level doesn't mean you have a university degree. And there's always tons to learn from professional riding instructors.

* Except in my case, but not everyone can be so talented and handsome. It’s a cross I have to bear.
I have worked with quite a few RoSPA-qualified riders and the vast majority want to improve... but there are always those few who struggle with anything that's outside their experience.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:21 pm Ah, get it now....... Absolutely not where i work as we also have had a couple of ex instructors casually "drop in" and ask if there is any chance of something similar. Saying that we have also had fully ticketed instructors affiliated to bike shops call up asking for work as well as their bike shops were shut .

Dont know about "less scrupulous" schools but you will probably have a better idea of contacts locally to where you are.

The main problem is that the DAS instructors have also had no work for the past 3-4 months so they have been also taking CBT work on to make ends meet which has hit my hours a bit and driven them mental. :D
It's been a tough time for all of us...
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills