What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Potter »

slowsider wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:17 pm
I've just driven home from Sussex through Wales. The most oppressive part of it was traffic levels, not policing.
At least you weren't clogging the roads up with your thrupenny bit cornering. :wave:
Yes the traffic levels and poor management of it is worse, I agree, utterly ridiculous, I've found my journey times are between 30-50% longer than they should be because of poor traffic management.

Maybe speed cameras is a northern thing, I didn't notice any myself when I was driving around near Oxford and the Cotswolds.
Lancashire, Yorkshire and North Wales are known to be bad for it.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:21 pm
slowsider wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:17 pm
I've just driven home from Sussex through Wales. The most oppressive part of it was traffic levels, not policing.
At least you weren't clogging the roads up with your thrupenny bit cornering. :wave:
Yes the traffic levels and poor management of it is worse, I agree, utterly ridiculous, I've found my journey times are between 30-50% longer than they should be because of poor traffic management.

Maybe speed cameras is a northern thing, I didn't notice any myself when I was driving around near Oxford and the Cotswolds.
Six hours from the south coast to Pembroke. :(

Did you drive in Ireland? If you went from Dublin to Limerick and Galway the motorways must have been some contrast. Depending on timings, obvs.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:21 pm
I had a theory that they were a political thing (like speed bumps) and primarily popular with those of the persuasion that 'the people must be protected from themselves'. That got a bit muddied when it became a commercial thing and it was realised if you're cunning it's a nice little earner.

My colleagues in Belgium had the idea that they mainly appeared towards the months end in those authorities where cash flow was getting a bit tight. I may misremember but the fine was the only penalty so people would just shrug and pay.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Noggin wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:05 pm Did the yoga class
Namaste.

>insert calm-face emoji here<
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Worked, sorted out a complete clusterfuck at 03:00 because someone hadn't sent us certain paperwork and when it eventually arrived it was wrong! (bear in mind engineering work is planned about a year in advance). :angry-cussingblack:

Slept.

oh and driving in Sussex is rubbish, its one of the few counties without a motorway.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Potter

Post by Potter »

slowsider wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:35 pm
Six hours from the south coast to Pembroke. :(

Did you drive in Ireland? If you went from Dublin to Limerick and Galway the motorways must have been some contrast. Depending on timings, obvs.
I only went onto the motorway very briefly, we wanted to see the countryside so stayed on normal roads.
Dublin was shocking for traffic and traffic lights, but the rest of the place didn't seem too bad traffic wise.
Count Steer wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:45 pm
I had a theory that they were a political thing (like speed bumps) and primarily popular with those of the persuasion that 'the people must be protected from themselves'. That got a bit muddied when it became a commercial thing and it was realised if you're cunning it's a nice little earner.

My colleagues in Belgium had the idea that they mainly appeared towards the months end in those authorities where cash flow was getting a bit tight. I may misremember but the fine was the only penalty so people would just shrug and pay.
I feel like its lazy policing to hit targets and probably used as a revenue stream although I don't know the financial stats of that.

I could accept it if the place was in good order, but it's not, the country needs a serious shake-up and speeding fines are like a slap in the face to an otherwise entirely law abiding person.
It's like if MPs were claiming a bit too much in expenses, I could even turn a blind eye to that if it was a very well managed society, but because it's in shit state they don't even deserve the money they get, so I'd string them up for taking the piss even more.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:02 pm
oh and driving in Sussex is rubbish, its one of the few counties without a motorway.
Ahh, the mythical M23 :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

slowsider wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:37 pm
Your geography is like mine - I thought the M27 was in Sussex!! It finishes just before!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Noggin wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:55 pm
Your geography is like mine - I thought the M27 was in Sussex!! It finishes just before!! LOL
How is that like mine? The M23 passes Crawley. ;)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

slowsider wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:03 pm

Oh, ok. I just looked on google to make sure I didn't post that the M27 was in Sussex if I was wrong and it seemed to show that the M23 stopped outside the boundary??

But then, my geography sux!

Edit - didn't make the Map big enough!! It really looked as if the M23 stopped near the border :lol: :lol: :lol: How I get away with my job driving through two countries with passengers, I'll never know!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

slowsider wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:03 pm

Bugger, hoisted by my own fatigue. EAST Sussex then (as Sussex is not a county), find me a motorway there!!

And shame on you lot for missing that!😂
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
cheb

Post by cheb »

Did the final day of the three day first aid course.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Potter wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:30 pm
I feel like its lazy policing to hit targets and probably used as a revenue stream although I don't know the financial stats of that.
North Yorkshire are bad. AFAIK, the situation is is that the revenue from FPNs goes to central government coffers, but the revenue from Speed Awareness Courses is held locally.

That’s the point at which you saw them move from outside areas where speed should be an issue and onto motorway bridges where you get the best bang for buck.

While they’re on the major routes though they’re leaving my favourite roads alone.

Dumfries and Galloway are bad for it as well, Durham and Northumberland less so.

But that said, I’m not sure there’s many countries that haven’t taken advantage of the ease of revenue generation from speeding.
Horse

Post by Horse »

cheb wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:52 am each time I do one of these courses.
There have been various times when they change something and I struggle to get it ingrained. The 'run away' (for help / defib) bit introduced into CPR was the worst. How long to apply [insert treatment, such as cold water for burns] as an example. Or changing the tune ;)

Are you on their mailing list? They recently sent a summary of new changes.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Horse wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:21 pm
There have been various times when they change something and I struggle to get it ingrained. The 'run away' (for help / defib) bit introduced into CPR was the worst. How long to apply [insert treatment, such as cold water for burns] as an example. Or changing the tune ;)

Not to mention the change from Nellie the elephant to Stayin’ Alive
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Taipan wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:53 pm Decided to go for a quick run on the scoot then get it in the garden ready to do some work on next week, but it rained so I didn't. :roll:

Just as well as my Step Dad fell over last night and I've just had to take him back to hospital as I think he's fractured his wrist!
He's still in there! :crazy:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:53 pm Decided to go for a quick run on the scoot then get it in the garden ready to do some work on next week, but it rained so I didn't. :roll:

Just as well as my Step Dad fell over last night and I've just had to take him back to hospital as I think he's fractured his wrist!
That's where I was last year. Phone calls at any time of the day or night.

I hope it's not a busted hip for your SD.

I had three family members fall and break a hip. Stepmum died shortly after,then MIL did the same and also died.For good measure my Da fell and he'll never walk again.

It all passes TP,but it's full on at the time.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
cheb

Post by cheb »

Who's mailing list? 20 minutes for burns today.
wheelnut wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:29 pm

Not to mention the change from Nellie the elephant to Stayin’ Alive
I prefer Another One Bites The Dust :thumbdown:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Skub wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:33 pm

That's where I was last year. Phone calls at any time of the day or night.

I hope it's not a busted hip for your SD.

I had three family members fall and break a hip. Stepmum died shortly after,then MIL did the same and also died.For good measure my Da fell and he'll never walk again.

It all passes TP,but it's full on at the time.
Busted wrist. Very fine break line that they were surprised to pick up on an x-ray. He's still in there waiting for some sort of cast apparently. He hasn't slept due to being in there last night as he was kept in for obs. Fucked if I know why they didn't x-ray him last night. :wtf: They sent him home at 7 this morning still in pain with his wrist, so I took him back up around 12:45 and he has been stuck there since!?!?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:03 pm
Busted wrist. Very fine break line that they were surprised to pick up on an x-ray. He's still in there waiting for some sort of cast apparently. He hasn't slept due to being in there last night as he was kept in for obs. Fucked if I know why they didn't x-ray him last night. :wtf: They sent him home at 7 this morning still in pain with his wrist, so I took him back up around 12:45 and he has been stuck there since!?!?
Could be a foosh (fall on outstretched hand) you get a compression fracture of the head of the radius). Tricky to spot on x-ray but not bad in terms of healing. However, it hurts like a v hurty thing. :cry:

Common with snowboarders (said the doctor in Banff when I saw him for the second year running :roll: )
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire