New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Dodgy69

Re: New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Post by Dodgy69 »

Just a pair of these and job done. Very comfy indeed. Tcx look good aswel.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/357911
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Dodgy knees wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:14 pm Just a pair of these and job done. Very comfy indeed. Tcx look good aswel.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/357911
They are good. I got the WP TCX ones but they are hot in summer about the office so I end up taking them off. In hindsight given I try really hard not to ride in the rain, I should have got the non WP ones but hey-ho.
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

For some reason I thought it was time I got one of these airbag vests ... or rather I just stopped justifying not getting one.

I did all the sizing checks on all my gear etc and then went and tried one one. So much lighter and thinner than I expected. Maybe 25% bigger than the back protector it's replacing and I don't notice the weight difference at all.

It can switch from Street to Track mode via the phone app in a couple of seconds.

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

What's the difference between street and track then ?
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

A new Arai Tour X4 to replace my very old one in diamond black. It's a great bit of kit, with a nice field of view and I like the looks. The new one has a heavily revised venting system is it'll be interesting to see how that copes with cold damp commutes and visor misting.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

still looking at the idea of motorcycle jeans to ride in - first choice will always be leather - and the Daineses I splurged in last year have worn in really well. But jeans would be easier a lot of the time ...

I know resurgence get a look of votes from here - my prior Draggin" strides were so badly cut, with allow rise, I want to try before I buy...

Just bought two pairs of Furygan gloves mind. I worked out my current ones are around 15 years old ( at least) - so a pretty good return on investment (and Hein Gereike did make some great gloves)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

For me, a pair of FT Renegade jeans. Nice fit, better than Hood IMO, and look like a pair of casual strides, not so much like denim jeans, IYSWIM. Nice and comfy to ride in and to walk about in. Bit of stretch in the fabric too. Minor gripe is they're a bit narrow and just fit over my A* adv-style boots.

For the kid, a new A* Stella leather jacket, matching strides, new A* boots and a pair of BKS gloves. She's well chuffed with them, my wallet less so. :P :o

Here's hoping we get to Italy in October.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I might get a pair of the Bullit single layer jeans next time, or the single layer with reinforced parts for the AAA rating. They look like they have improved the cut of them from the older ones.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:42 pm I might get a pair of the Bullit single layer jeans next time, or the single layer with reinforced parts for the AAA rating. They look like they have improved the cut of them from the older ones.
The Frank Thomas ones I got are new out. The Rebel ones are AA, Renegade AAA and about £30 more, IIRC, Really nice fit, only they do come up a bit long. I'm normally a regular leg length, but in these a short, much to the Gremlinette's amusement, as she reckons I'm short.

J&S link: https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/fra ... /45502.htm
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:48 pm
Supermofo wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:42 pm I might get a pair of the Bullit single layer jeans next time, or the single layer with reinforced parts for the AAA rating. They look like they have improved the cut of them from the older ones.
The Frank Thomas ones I got are new out. The Rebel ones are AA, Renegade AAA and about £30 more, IIRC, Really nice fit, only they do come up a bit long. I'm normally a regular leg length, but in these a short, much to the Gremlinette's amusement, as she reckons I'm short.

Ta will take a look. I had to get short in my last pair of Bullits. The regular were OK on the bike but I looked like a clown to walk about in them so sent them back for the short. There's a J&S in St Albans as well down the road
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:48 pm

shame the site has such rubbish photos .... :thumbup:
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Nidge wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:16 pm

Richa Cobalt cordura armoured jeans - £99 at Motorcycle Megastore at the moment . Happy with these too.
Nidge - as a matter of interest , what do those waxed Cobalt jeans look like...
Not sure if I can stomach paying 160 quid for something that looks like a 15 quid Tesco jean - so those have an appeal. But are they shiny / nylon looking - or just dead hip and groovy?
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

I think they look pretty good actually. Obviously nothing I put on is going to be dead hip and groovy, but on others, yeah I reckon they could be...
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Nidge wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:36 pm I think they look pretty good actually. Obviously nothing I put on is going to be dead hip and groovy, but on others, yeah I reckon they could be...
So they don’t look like shell suit? The material is cotton like? And how waxy?
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:49 pm
Nidge wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:36 pm I think they look pretty good actually. Obviously nothing I put on is going to be dead hip and groovy, but on others, yeah I reckon they could be...
So they don’t look like shell suit? The material is Colton like? And how waxy?/
Nope, they’re like a heavy denim. Not as too waxy, certainly not like a belstaff. One thing to more is that they are cut quite long, fine on the bike but do pool around the ankle a bi5 off it- I’m a short arse so used to that but the 30 in inside leg are nearer 32
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:07 am What's the difference between street and track then ?
The types of crash you have, the forces involved, etc. That's why most of the manufacturers only make them specifically for one purpose. Some can swap modes by uploading a whole new software version from a laptop. I've not seen another that can be just switched between the two modes so easily.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

scottyuk wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:50 pm
weeksy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:07 am What's the difference between street and track then ?
The types of crash you have, the forces involved, etc. That's why most of the manufacturers only make them specifically for one purpose. Some can swap modes by uploading a whole new software version from a laptop. I've not seen another that can be just switched between the two modes so easily.
Yeah but what does it do differently ?
Horse

Post by Horse »

scottyuk wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:21 pm For some reason I thought it was time I got one of these airbag vests ... or rather I just stopped justifying not getting one.

I did all the sizing checks on all my gear etc and then went and tried one one. So much lighter and thinner than I expected. Maybe 25% bigger than the back protector it's replacing and I don't notice the weight difference at all.

It can switch from Street to Track mode via the phone app in a couple of seconds.

Do they specify that it's a replacement, rather than supplement, to a back protector, and that you should remove it?

Edit: "Horse, why are you asking questions? Google it!" So I did.
– Integrated CE back protector

Edit 2: Reading further down the page, did you go one-off payment or installments? How did you decide?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

GuzziPaul wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:02 pm Arai QV helmet. Got it before Xmas but only worn it 3 times so far and yesterday was the first ime with tinted visor. Much quieter than my old Shoei, maybe because it's tighter.
The quietness is good to know. I thought that Shoei lids were quieter than Arai? Maybe I'll see if there are any deals on Arai QV's.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

scottyuk wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:21 pm So much lighter and thinner than I expected. Maybe 25% bigger than the back protector it's replacing and I don't notice the weight difference at all.
This was my biggest surprise: the In&Motion airbag feels the same weight as my existing back protector :thumbup: (Do you think I could ask Santa for an airbag?)
Horse wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:22 am Do they specify that it's a replacement, rather than supplement, to a back protector, and that you should remove it?
The In&Motion airbag, like the D-Air Road and Tech-Air systems, includes a back protector. (And supplementing it with a second back protector would give less room for the airbag to inflate.)
Horse wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:22 am did you go one-off payment or installments? How did you decide?
I reckon the annual or monthly fee looks a better bet than buying the In&Motion outright. With the rental programme, In&Motion gives you new hardwear every three years.