COVID-19

What's happening in the world, the news, the current hot topics of the day.
Please note, this forum is not always actively monitored, we cannot monitor each and every post and thread on the forum, due to it's nature, debates can be passionate. If any issues, please email or report a post.
Noggin

Re: COVID-19

Post by Noggin »

Screwdriver wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:12 pm
There seems to be a lot of "just a bad flu" bollocks going around. There will be thousands, if not 100's of thousands or potentially millions of people who survive COVID-19 only to endure long term poor health due to damaged lungs. It is a nasty virulent thing which I guess is why China were so keen on playing with it.

I've got two good friends (one in the UK and one in Chamonix, France) who both had it early on, late Feb/early March I think

Both have got serious lung problems since being out of hospital and one has heart issues as well - these issues are new and apparently due to the virus

Neither are slim fit kids, but equally, neither were exactly unhealthy or had underlying health issues. Both female, over 50 and chubby. But now having to deal with a MASSIVE change in their quality of life

I still struggle a bit with all the lockdown rules, the fact that bars/restaurants/tourist businesses (to name a few) are massively affected, but damn, what my friends are going through is horrible - with no idea if things will get better for them :(
irie

Post by irie »

Noggin wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:22 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:12 pm
There seems to be a lot of "just a bad flu" bollocks going around. There will be thousands, if not 100's of thousands or potentially millions of people who survive COVID-19 only to endure long term poor health due to damaged lungs. It is a nasty virulent thing which I guess is why China were so keen on playing with it.
I've got two good friends (one in the UK and one in Chamonix, France) who both had it early on, late Feb/early March I think

Both have got serious lung problems since being out of hospital and one has heart issues as well - these issues are new and apparently due to the virus

Neither are slim fit kids, but equally, neither were exactly unhealthy or had underlying health issues. Both female, over 50 and chubby. But now having to deal with a MASSIVE change in their quality of life

I still struggle a bit with all the lockdown rules, the fact that bars/restaurants/tourist businesses (to name a few) are massively affected, but damn, what my friends are going through is horrible - with no idea if things will get better for them :(
Being "chubby" aka overweight/obese is in itself a significant "underlying health issue" for someone infected with Covid-19.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Horse

Post by Horse »

irie wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:53 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:12 pm There seems to be a lot of "just a bad flu" bollocks going around.

Neither are slim fit kids, but equally, neither were exactly unhealthy or had underlying health issues.
Being "chubby" aka overweight/obese is in itself a significant "underlying health issue" for someone infected with Covid-19.
Not completely true?

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-54567866

Ethnic minorities' higher risk of dying from Covid-19 is linked to where they live and the jobs they do, rather than their health, figures for England and Wales suggest.
You don't have to believe everything you think
moth

Post by moth »

Horse wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:20 pm

Neither are slim fit kids, but equally, neither were exactly unhealthy or had underlying health issues.
Not completely true?

Ethnic minorities' higher risk of dying from Covid-19 is linked to where they live and the jobs they do, rather than their health, figures for England and Wales suggest.
Don't tell him he's wrong about aomething else, you'll shatter his confidence
Horse

Post by Horse »

moth wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:38 pm

Not completely true?

I did the decent thing and posted it as a question :)

However, since he (promised that) has me on ignore, he'll only know if someone quotes me. Whoops :D

Edit: or he knows for sure that both Noggin's friends are white - otherwise someone will probably accuse of systemic racism.
irie

Post by irie »

moth wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:38 pm
Not completely true?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/exce ... m-covid-19
The current evidence does not suggest that having excess weight increases people’s chances of contracting COVID-19. However, the data does show that obese people are significantly more likely to become seriously ill and be admitted to intensive care with COVID-19 compared to those with a healthy BMI.

One study found that for people with a BMI of 35 to 40, risk of death from COVID-19 increases by 40% and with a BMI over 40 by 90%, compared to those not living with obesity. Other data found that in intensive care units, 7.9% of critically ill patients with COVID-19 had a BMI over 40 compared with 2.9% of the general population.
Plenty more evidence such as this, if one cares to use Google search.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... bal%20data.

As for ethnic minorities straw man, no doubt Horse will chew the cud. :lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Horse

Post by Horse »

Gov.uk Vs ONS

Harry Hill says only one way to sort this out ...

Here's the link, BTW:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... 28july2020

Last updated: 16 October 2020

Irie's, however ... Last updated 25 July 2020 (while data collection by ONS was still underway). Perhaps the suggestion to use Google should include 'and choose something recent'?
Horse

Post by Horse »

irie wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:53 pm. Horse will chew the cud. :lol:
Did he call me a cud? :)
moth

Post by moth »

There's a difference between 'overweight', 'obese', 'severely obese' and 'morbidly obese', but no doubt you know that.

Or you're about to Google it...
moth

Post by moth »

Horse wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:07 pm
If you chew the cud are you a cunning linguist? :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

moth wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:09 pm
:D

Well, I took the advice and Googled it.

Can horses chew their cud like cattle?
The horse’s (non-ruminant herbivore) gastrointestinal tract differs from that of cattle (ruminant). The horse’s soft palate closes after it swallows food, trapping the food in the larynx. In addition, the horse has muscular contractions in the esophagus that only go in a downward direction. Unlike cattle, the horse cannot reverse the direction of esophageal contractions. The cardiac sphincter muscle closes tightly when food enters the stomach and does not release, trapping food in the stomach. Therefore, horses cannot regurgitate their food and chew it again like cattle can.

:roll:
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Horse wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:15 pm
moth wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:09 pm

:D

Well, I took the advice and Googled it.

Can horses chew their cud like cattle?
The horse’s (non-ruminant herbivore) gastrointestinal tract differs from that of cattle (ruminant). The horse’s soft palate closes after it swallows food, trapping the food in the larynx. In addition, the horse has muscular contractions in the esophagus that only go in a downward direction. Unlike cattle, the horse cannot reverse the direction of esophageal contractions. The cardiac sphincter muscle closes tightly when food enters the stomach and does not release, trapping food in the stomach. Therefore, horses cannot regurgitate their food and chew it again like cattle can.

:roll:
On top of not being able to regurgitate, a horse practically cannot vomit. The lower esophageal sphincter is pretty well slam shut. They do choke however, getting food stuck in the throat. So FFS, Horse, chew your food properly before swallowing. :!:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Bwana wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:48 pm On top of not being able to regurgitate, a horse practically cannot vomit.They do choke however, getting food stuck in the throat. So FFS, Horse, chew your food properly before swallowing. :!:
Many a true word ... one of the side effects of Chiari can be problems swallowing! For me, it's the occasional cough after drink.

The vomit does, sometimes, happen. But that has typically been after drinking :D
irie

Post by irie »

moth wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:08 pm There's a difference between 'overweight', 'obese', 'severely obese' and 'morbidly obese', but no doubt you know that.

There is no difference between severe obesity and morbid obesity, they are synonyms.
Horse

Post by Horse »

irie wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:54 pm
moth wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:08 pm There's a difference between 'overweight', 'obese', 'severely obese' and 'morbidly obese', but no doubt you know that.

There is no difference between severe obesity and morbid obesity, they are synonyms.
Some have a broader range of terms:
Normal, Overweight, Obese, Severely Obese, Morbidly Obese, and Super Obese
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 0318307277

Some define the BMI for various categories:
Categories of severely obese (SeO: BMI<39.9 kg/m2), morbidly obese (MO: BMI 40–49.9 kg/m2), super-morbidly obese (SMO: BMI 50–59.9 kg/m2), and super-super morbidly obese (SSMO: BMI >60 kg/m2).

I'm so glad that I was advised to use Google :)
moth

Post by moth »

Horse wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:15 pm
irie wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:54 pm

Some have a broader range of terms:
Normal, Overweight, Obese, Severely Obese, Morbidly Obese, and Super Obese
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 0318307277

Some define the BMI for various categories:
Categories of severely obese (SeO: BMI<39.9 kg/m2), morbidly obese (MO: BMI 40–49.9 kg/m2), super-morbidly obese (SMO: BMI 50–59.9 kg/m2), and super-super morbidly obese (SSMO: BMI >60 kg/m2).

I'm so glad that I was advised to use Google :)

He's consistent ;)
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Presumably as I have a very minor heart defect (bicuspid aortic valve - Can be serious, or not depending on factors but touch wood no impact on my life at the moment or possibly ever and no medication, get it checked every 3 years to ensure it's still functioning the same) I have been sent a text to say I can have a free Flu jab. Never been offered one before so presume it's due to the above putting me on a list somewhere.

So phone the docs and they say can you do Sat 31st. No says I. Ok you'll have to call after the 31st and see when the next clinic is.

Best hope this Flu and Covid stuff takes into account these clinic dates as if not that wouldn't be cricket!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:54 am So phone the docs and they say can you do Sat 31st. No says I. Ok you'll have to call after the 31st and see when the next clinic is.

Best hope this Flu and Covid stuff takes into account these clinic dates as if not that wouldn't be cricket!
If it's anything like here they run it like a production line, with a queue through the car park, to do the most people they can in a session.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Horse wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:07 am
Supermofo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:54 am So phone the docs and they say can you do Sat 31st. No says I. Ok you'll have to call after the 31st and see when the next clinic is.

If it's anything like here they run it like a production line, with a queue through the car park, to do the most people they can in a session.
No queues here, more like a modern, just-in-time production line. I had an appointment for 11:15. I arrived at 11:10, was checked in at the front door, temperature taken and ticked off the list. The nurse gave me the injection and I was out the side door by 11:13.
TE/PP (Toxic Elderly/Poisonous Pensioner) clique founder member
cheb

Post by cheb »

Saga Lout wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:07 pm
Horse wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:07 am

No queues here, more like a modern, just-in-time production line. I had an appointment for 11:15. I arrived at 11:10, was checked in at the front door, temperature taken and ticked off the list. The nurse gave me the injection and I was out the side door by 11:13.

An NHS clinic running on time?

Are they trying to thin out those with bad hearts by giving them unexpected surprises?