Should we be eradicating the past ?

What's happening in the world, the news, the current hot topics of the day.
Yambo

Re: Should we be eradicating the past ?

Post by Yambo »

Bigjawa wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:59 pm
FFS we have a whole section of our tourism industry dedicated to an event that killed 1500 people.
Only 1500?

Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Tomcat wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:07 pm

That's because you haven't stopped to understand what white privilege actually is. In a nutshell, however hard you've had it, however much you've tried to do the right thing, you still exist in the privileged position of being white, where the colour of your skin is not an inherent barrier to getting on in life, where you are not several times more likely to be stopped and searched by the police, where many employers are still more likely to respond to CVs with "English" names than ethnic ones. And more. White privilege isn't anything you're doing wrong or something to feel personally guilty about, if you give everybody a fair lick you're doing something to eliminate it. But it's something we need to recognise exists, because until we do, how do we actually get the equal, non racist society that most of agree we should have?

I would suggest that when you and I were growing up, 'white privilege' didn't exist in most of the UK; it's very much a fairly modern phenomenon. There were no black children at my primary and secondary schools in S.E. Kent and I was about 12 years old when I met my first black person - a woman called Benetta Hamilton who was in the UK from Sierra Leone iirc and staying with my aunt on some church organised exchange thing. Again, iirc her father was a top judge back home. She wasn't under privileged, that's for sure.

As there were so few black people, there was virtually no white privilege. I guess I have collected some over the last few years (I'm told I have) but I certainly had none in my youth.

Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Yambo wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:16 am
Bigjawa wrote:
FFS we have a whole section of our tourism industry dedicated to an event that killed 1500 people.
Only 1500?
I've just clicked, I guess this is Titanic Belfast. I was thinking of something else. Senior moment. :D

Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Yambo wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:28 am
Yambo wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:16 am
Bigjawa wrote:
Only 1500?
I've just clicked, I guess this is Titanic Belfast. I was thinking of something else. Senior moment. :D
Really is only 4 things in our tourism industry.

Troubles
Titanic
Giants bloody Causeway
Game Of Thrones.
"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."

Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Possibly 4+. There's a theory that is wasn't the Titantic that sunk but her sister ship the Olympic which was hurriedly replated to impersonate Titanic so the prestigious maiden voyage would not be delayed, when a serious structural problem was identified with the real Titanic during a refit.
When the ship sank their identities were swapped permanently and the Titanic continued to serve as Olympic for decades with an unblemished record until it was retired.
You could cram a few more tourists in with a Titanic Conspiracy Theory visitor centre..

cheb

Post by cheb »

A chap called Dan van der vat wrote a book about it. Easily debunked as the had different promenade decks, one was enclosed, the other wasn't IIRC. There was something about swapped propellers too.

I'll look it out later, and Ballard's book about him looking for it.

Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

I've got the Ballard book. Superb artwork depicting the wreck on the sea floor before the age of computer graphics.

Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

cheb wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:38 pm
A chap called Dan van der vat wrote a book about it. Easily debunked as the had different promenade decks, one was enclosed, the other wasn't IIRC. There was something about swapped propellers too.

I'll look it out later, and Ballard's book about him looking for it.
Olympic threw a blade off a screw, Titanic was already in dry dock for fitting out, so all they did was remove one of her screws and pull her out of the dock, put Olympic in, change the screw and get her out. It only takes 7 hours to flood or drain the dock so the whole thing only took a couple of days.
"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."