Toulouse - July 2021

Anything to do with being out and about, whether on your own or looking to arrange trips and adventures with forum members
Alan PBTD

Toulouse - July 2021

Post by Alan PBTD »

Long story but me and the missus have a week booked in a farmhouse 30 odd mins from Toulouse. Despite all the COVID crap - Bo**ocks to it all - we're going.
Have been looking a few options on getting there and fortunately not too restricted on timescale so if we have to go longer then cool.

Ferry to Bilbao ( ish ) and travel / up across ( have u seen the prices of the ferries !!! )
Ferry over ( ?) and then which way - I'd prefer to stay well clear of Paris.
Fly to Toulouse then car / bike hire ( Bike hire ? )
Drive / ride all the way

Missus isn't too experienced on the back of the bike ( but plenty of time to practice...) hence the other options.

Last time I down that way was 2000 / 2002 so any ideas welcome. Or even places to call in / stay on the way down.

And where's that place from WW2 where the Germans massacred the village and it's been left - they made a new village close to ?

At last - something to look forward to.. anyone want to throw in their 2p's worth ?

ta

Alan.
Yorick

Re: Toulouse - July 2021

Post by Yorick »

I always think of that as the place with a pair of toilets.

Childish? Oh yes :mrgreen:
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Have to say, having done it once, I avoid the Bilbao ferry like the plague - it' sticks in my memory as the roughest, and also, unfortunately, roughest ferry ever, and I honestly was wishing I was dead on it at one point :lol:

So for me, it would have to be either fly and hire when you get there, or ride/drive down all the way depending upon how hardy / up for spending that amount of time on the back of the bike she is, as thats 1000km or so from the usual ferry ports, and of course no guarantees on the weather.

It's a shame that they stopped running the Motorail from Paris, as that cuts out 700ish km of not particularly interesting stuff , and would have been the ideal for you I reckon- nice leisurely ride to Paris, overnight on the train with a few vinos etc and wake up in Tolouse.
I've also done that before and was great, from memory it was not much more than 100 euros each way, which was decent value IMO.
Having said that, being the french and SNCF, you could never completely rely on it- we turned up once at approx 6pm, and they'd decided to go on strike a couple of hours before, so nothing was running and we ended up riding through the night as we had to be in Italy the next day, but that's another story

Anyway, good luck whatever you do Alan :thumbup:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Can you turn it into a fortnight away, do touristy stuff there and back?

Rocamadour, Gouffre de Padirac, etc.
You don't have to believe everything you think
Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

Cheers Guys.

The Spanish link was a bit off the wall and I know a few who use it when going to TD's but fell over when they want all but £800 / £900 for next July return ferries. So that can sit on the back burner - but might talk to some people who spanner for BSB and see if there's any ''ACU'' type deals about.

I've done the ''Motorail'' thing when we were short of time and went to WDW. Collected the train in then Denderlueu in Belgium and got off in St Tropez the following morning and then off to Italy. Was brill - took that big lump out and relatively not that more expensive than riding. Was quite funny on the way back as we sat and drank with some boys from HA in the station @ St Tropez...And got pulled by the Old Bill on the Severn Bridge (alleged speeding ) on the final leg. Nearly got arrested as when they asked where we'd been and we said ''Belgium this morning'' they thought we were talking the p*ss.. I'll have a look further but points are noted.

Flying is relatively cheap but obviously there's Car/ Bike hire on top. Not done much foreign car hire b 4 - and when I have they've had my pants down and the bill never came close to what was quoted so am a bit weary of them. Need to find a bike hire firm ( ???? ) - have dropped the local HD dealer a line to see what they say but bet anything decent will be 120 euro's a day odd. Mind u fancy something different as I can ride a Harley anytime. Did like reading about Gremlin's time on the BMW and I do like the ''going everywhere and nowhere, for no reason other than it looks like it might be interesting'' attitude.

Horse - could make it a bit longer ( am self employed ) and love the idea of more time either side of the week's stay. Would be a brill trip just touring down and then back . I've got some friends in Rouen so they would be on the list as well. Would like the missus to experience The Last Post @ Ypres / Mametz Woods but it's too far and we'll save that for another time. Am supposed to be in Ireland in May / June tho'.

By the time next July comes and all this COVID crap I'll be ready for a month away..starting tomorrow..

ta !
Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

This has come up tonight - The Pyrenees. Seems a place called Vielha ( quite high up ) is about 4 1/2 hours from out stay - anyone been there / close ?

ta
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Last time we went across, Mrs W flew down to Bergerac and I took the bike down and met her there. Same on the way back. Pillion all the way down through France, unless you're sightseeing on the way, isn't fun on the back - you'll put her off before you get there. We had a brilliant 2 weeks there.

And +1 for Rocamadour, also St Circ Lapopie, river Lot valley.