Moto Guzzi V85TT

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Yorick

Re: Moto Guzzi V85TT

Post by Yorick »

Anyone had one of these or know anything about them ?

A good pal of mine is thinking about buying one :)

But test rides aren't available here, so he's looking for some first hand knowledge.

TIA :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:56 am Realistically, how many punctures do you ever get? I've been riding on the road for about 40 years and probably had 10 puncture tops?
I've only AFAIR had two. But it's not the number of them, but the way they can happen. A tubeless tyre will often seal around a foreign object, releasing air gradually. But poke a hole in a tube it'll more than likely deflate immediately. I've had that happen. On a motorway. That ended with me and the bike both bouncing.

FWIW the other puncture was from a balance weight that a tyre fitter left between the tyre and tube. Luckily for me, that gradually chafed a small hole, leading to a flat. Also on a motorway.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:56 am Realistically, how many punctures do you ever get? I've been riding on the road for about 40 years and probably had 10 puncture tops?
It really depends where you ride. I only had a couple when I was back in Kent but now I'm in London again, I've had 4 in the last two years, including one in a brand-new tyre I'd fitted 10 days earlier to replace the almost worn out one that punctured. There's a lot of roof conversions going on round here, and the roofing nails end up in the road.

Record was 3 in two days, although that was back in the 80s when I was a courier.
Your friendly neighbourhood advanced instructor
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Saw one in Scotland last week, looked good in the metal, and was the only bike I saw being ridden "enthusiastically" all week.

The rest were lots of GSs and tourers pootling along obviously sweating in full waterproofs.
non quod, sed quomodo
Harry

Post by Harry »

Yorick wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:16 pm Anyone had one of these or know anything about them ?

But test rides aren't available here, so he's looking for some first hand knowledge.

There is loads of stuff now on YouTube from owners that have had them for a year and they really rate them.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Harry wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:02 am
There is loads of stuff now on YouTube from owners that have had them for a year and they really rate them.
Yep, I've chatted with a couple of owners and they really rate them, you wouldn't expect anything else really but they'd clocked good miles and were really enthusiast,
Depends what the prospective new owner is going to use it for?
Harry

Post by Harry »

G.P wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:21 am Yep, I've chatted with a couple of owners and they really rate them, you wouldn't expect anything else really but they'd clocked good miles and were really enthusiast,
Depends what the prospective new owner is going to use it for?
I've wanted one since they came out (but no MG shop here) and so I've kept an eye on them.
I think other than a few warranty niggles I haven't seen anything negative.

The only thing I can think to say is that it in a magazine shootout it probably won't win top trumps when next to a multistrada or a GS, but I don't think it's trying to compete with either, it seems to have found a niche and price point all of it's own.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Indeedy, performance wise it seems to sit somewhere above the 650 V-strom, but below the Africa Twin.
G.P

Post by G.P »

I've considered it as an alternative commuting mule to my TIger 800 but since I've been WFH since Feb, its not really a requirement!
what's not to like about them air cooled, shaft drive, comfy, look great etc..
Julian_Boolean

Post by Julian_Boolean »

I've seen one, I thought it looked like a Playmobil bike.
Harry

Post by Harry »

G.P wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:28 am I've considered it as an alternative commuting mule to my TIger 800 but since I've been WFH since Feb, its not really a requirement!
I think it might struggle to compete with your Tiger, but then as I said I don't know if it's trying to, it seems to be in a class of one.
It's quirky enough to run on it's own and it's hard to compare it to much else.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Harry wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:47 pm
G.P wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:28 am I've considered it as an alternative commuting mule to my TIger 800 but since I've been WFH since Feb, its not really a requirement!
I think it might struggle to compete with your Tiger, but then as I said I don't know if it's trying to, it seems to be in a class of one.
It's quirky enough to run on it's own and it's hard to compare it to much else.
Correct, though, the TIger is only 90bhp so not massively quicker, certainly no less comfortable and the advantage of a shaftie for a high miler is not to be underestimated. You're right though, I'd buy it for its individuality :) May be when 3-4 year old models are on the market,

I've been scratching a Guzzi itch since a mate bought a new Mk2 Le Mans in 1980! :)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:16 pm Anyone had one of these or know anything about them ?

It's the one that sold them you need to speak to! ;)
Harry

Post by Harry »

Taipan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:07 pm
It's the one that sold them you need to speak to! ;)
I haven't seen anything like that, there are a few that sold something a lot more expensive and fancy so they could replace it with a V85TT and they aren't complaining.

People are vocal these days and if the Guzzi was pony then I'd expect to see a lot more moaning on the internet.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Si Hargreaves seemed to really like it. I recall he said something like it wasn't objectively better than other bikes, but he'd have one. I think they look great.
G.P

Post by G.P »

just to remind people how cuddly they are!

:thumbup:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Hate that colour scheme, but I liek it in solid colours. Wouldn't mind owning a MG at some point as i'm intrigued by the engine, but if i was to buy that style bike tomorrow I think i'd prefer the RE Himalaya.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I love that colour scheme, I would seriously consider one of them if I were looking for a new bike.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Taipan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:50 pm Hate that colour scheme, but I liek it in solid colours. Wouldn't mind owning a MG at some point as i'm intrigued by the engine, but if i was to buy that style bike tomorrow I think i'd prefer the RE Himalaya.
You're wrong.

The single colour ones look rubbish in the flesh, the red/white/yellow one is amazeballs.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:04 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:50 pm Hate that colour scheme, but I liek it in solid colours. Wouldn't mind owning a MG at some point as i'm intrigued by the engine, but if i was to buy that style bike tomorrow I think i'd prefer the RE Himalaya.
You're wrong.

The single colour ones look rubbish in the flesh, the red/white/yellow one is amazeballs.
I'm with Julian on this! :lol: