Gadgets: what you got / want?

Anything from pizza to pasta, from steak to cake.
Ditchfinder

Re: Gadgets: what you got / want?

Post by Ditchfinder »

Meat thermometer - this is what you want https://meater.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA6t6AB ... JZEALw_wcB

Spendy but very very good, we have a range cooker so temps can sometimes be a bit hard to be exact with - this solves that perfectly
Horse

Post by Horse »

Ours is about £10, like this:

And no idea why the link gives a generic Amazon ad????
You don't have to believe everything you think
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Silly Car wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:43 am I’m a sucker for a kitchen power tool so have the following lurking in cupboards:

1 x Thermomix
that's cool, there brilliant
Street triple R
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

formula400 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:11 pm
Silly Car wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:43 am I’m a sucker for a kitchen power tool so have the following lurking in cupboards:

1 x Thermomix
that's cool, there brilliant
I’m still getting used to what it can do but I’m very impressed so far, especially with the downloadable step by step programs/recipes.

I managed a near perfect Italian meringue with it on my first time of trying, and have wasted 2 dozen eggs since trying to replicate it... not sure it there is grease lurking or I was just very lucky first time :roll:

Thankfully I’m not the type to want to cook an entire 3 course dinner in it (as per idiots on the Facebook groups - same applies in instant pot groups), but it does far more than I’ll every dream up.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

make an Italian meringue in your stand mixed. sod using the thermo for that.
Street triple R
formula400

Post by formula400 »

at work we mainly use it to blend things super smooth, or make chocolate cremeux.
or cook out the odd shuffle base.
Street triple R
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

When I first arrived it was names the £1,000 risotto machine ;)

But you are right about blending stuff until smooth, I am awaiting the day they amend the software so the speed dial goes up to 11 :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Halogen oven, which get used daily and is replaced instantly when they inevitably burn out or break their timer.

Instant Pot, which is now redundant since purchasing a Ninja Foodi.

Ninja Foodi which is getting used more and more. Just wish it had more capacity.

Nutri Bullet, rarely used...
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Horse wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:33 pm My two offerings to the thread are:

- electronic temperature sensor/ timer for cooking meat. You could prod a chicken with the knife to see whether juices run clear.

- breadmaker.
I bought a bread maker 'cos it was on offer in Aldi or Lidl (can't remember which) and used it for a while before realising that it was more of a faff and took longer than doing it by hand.

Also (unless you want to be fishing the mixing paddles out of the arse of your cooked loaf) you have to stop the breadmaker at a particular point in the program, ferret about in the gloop, retrieve said paddles and then restart the program. And even then you'd still have two holes in the bottom of your loaf where the paddle spindles had poked through.

Breadmakers are shite. Do it manually. It takes 15 minutes tops to get the dough to a state where you can whack it in a bread tin, then it goes into the airing cupboard (or equivalent) to prove. An hour or so later (during which time you can do other stuff) you bung it in the oven to cook. Piece of the proverbial. And the ensuing loaf is better than anything you can buy in a supermarket, by some distance.