Samsung Galaxy S9

Samsung Galaxy S9

Post by 1888 »

Got the chance of a nice looked after one for £150 The reviews are not all that great with some poor camera performance but battery life gets most comments. Any of you lot have/had one. Should i pay out more and just get the S9+ as the battery is a tad larger. S9 Lite has an ever higher battery but crap camera.
the_priest

Re: Samsung Galaxy S9

Post by the_priest »

Bought one of these for my son. S9+ Yes, camera is not wonderful, but perfectly acceptable. He is happy with the performance and battery life. uses it a lot and has no issues thus far. We got around the camera issue by ignoring the local software and installing a different camera software that did the trick. Been working fine. Bought through MusicMagpie. That is a good price you have there!
2 Kings 9:20
So the watchman reported, saying, “He went up to them and is not coming back; and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he drives furiously!”

Post by 1888 »

the_priest wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:58 pm Bought one of these for my son. S9+ Yes, camera is not wonderful, but perfectly acceptable. He is happy with the performance and battery life. uses it a lot and has no issues thus far. We got around the camera issue by ignoring the local software and installing a different camera software that did the trick. Been working fine. Bought through MusicMagpie. That is a good price you have there!
Never bought the S9. Threw more money at it and got the S9 Plus. I presume they were all 128GB. This one is brand new. It was sent away for repairs under warranty but apparently could not be fixed so a new one was sent back. Meanwhile the guy bought a S10 :D If you remember ask yer lad what camera software he is using cheers :thumbup:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

that is a bit of a result. I'll ask him when he wakes up.
So the watchman reported, saying, “He went up to them and is not coming back; and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he drives furiously!”
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Software is "Open Camera". Works nicely and does not trip up/freeze like Samsung software according to my son.
Horse

Post by Horse »

the_priest wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:24 am Software is "Open Camera". Works nicely and does not trip up/freeze like Samsung software according to my son.
Apologies, numpty warning.

Is this just a download, install, then select instead of the default icon? Or more involved?

FWIW, ive had no issues with the camera freezing, but text entry often does (it has once while typing this!) and sometimes the browser app has to be closed and restarted. I had a Huawei before, this is worse.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

You can install Chrome from Google Play Store. If camera is playing fine, then leave it. one thing less to worry about.
Horse

Post by Horse »

It's Chrome that hangs :(
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Oooohh. You're stuffed then. I can do exorcism, but doubt it will help. Just be glad it is not a Galaxy Note that was prone to blowing up!

Clear cache and reset the settings. Try another browser?

Post by 1888 »

the_priest wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:24 am Software is "Open Camera". Works nicely and does not trip up/freeze like Samsung software according to my son.
Cheers ill download it and compare when it arrives. :thumbup:
Horse wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:35 am
Apologies, numpty warning.

Is this just a download, install, then select instead of the default icon? Or more involved?

FWIW, ive had no issues with the camera freezing, but text entry often does (it has once while typing this!) and sometimes the browser app has to be closed and restarted. I had a Huawei before, this is worse.
Only freeze issue i have ever has was with Chrome. Never a camera or typing text just when using Chrome and this was on S5 and S7's but once i switched to Brave browser the issue went. Seems a tad odd as Brave is Build on Chrome but it just works.