Lockdown Nov 20, what are you doing ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Lockdown Nov 20, what are you doing ?

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

KungFooBob wrote: ↑Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:04 pm I'll be WFH... which means doing the obsolete minimum amount of work.

So I might do some polishing.

I've got the day off tomorrow, so might take the Enfield out for a spin to see if I've fixed the weep from the head gasket. If not then a new HG will be a nice little project. Might even have a look at how clean the intake is and neaten it up (with my top tuning tool, the Dremel) for more POWER!

I really really want to buy a race bike for next year, but I also want to buy a retro superbike and I also want to buy a tourer, or maybe a cheap track toy... too many wants!
Sure I can find you an FZ750 for sensible money, probably near Cadwell.
Honda Owner
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

weeksy wrote: ↑Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:17 pm knock me up a scarf for winter.

This OK πŸ‘Œ

Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: ↑Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:08 pm
weeksy wrote: ↑Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:17 pm knock me up a scarf for winter.

This OK πŸ‘Œ

:silent: :clap:
cheb

Post by cheb »

I'm another who'll be doing the same as the last one: Loitering about the house and footling about in the sheds.

Not that we're locked down here, the islands are tier 1, so we're as free as one can be in this modern world.
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

I'm a retired old fogey and selfishly spoiling young people's lives by not having died yet. Although I have no known health problems, because of my age, apparently I'm in imminent danger of death if I do catch the virus. In an attempt to stave off the virus for as long as possible, I'm doing as before. That's a visit to the supermarket once a fortnight. I don't go to pubs, restaurants, sports centres, cinemas, etc so won't miss them.
Because this year has been passing very quickly and I don't have much time left, I'm trying to fill the time doing anything, and not staring at the telly all day. I've worked growing vegetables, doing motorcycle maintenance, making jams and chutney, altering some of my clothes to reduce them to fit, trying to revise my foreign languages and having a much needed tidy up with a clear out.
I admit to being a 'boring sod' so my chosen activities will be judged by others as mundane but if they keep my brain cell and body working, I'm happy and I may live another day.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Bike Breaker wrote: ↑Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:15 am I'm a retired old fogey and selfishly spoiling young people's lives by not having died yet. Although I have no known health problems, because of my age, apparently I'm in imminent danger of death if I do catch the virus. In an attempt to stave off the virus for as long as possible, I'm doing as before. That's a visit to the supermarket once a fortnight. I don't go to pubs, restaurants, sports centres, cinemas, etc so won't miss them.
Because this year has been passing very quickly and I don't have much time left, I'm trying to fill the time doing anything, and not staring at the telly all day. I've worked growing vegetables, doing motorcycle maintenance, making jams and chutney, altering some of my clothes to reduce them to fit, trying to revise my foreign languages and having a much needed tidy up with a clear out.
I admit to being a 'boring sod' so my chosen activities will be judged by others as mundane but if they keep my brain cell and body working, I'm happy and I may live another day.
I suppose you also have to consider quality of life too though.

My parents are in their mid 80's and my old man is in the super high risk category.

They have not really been out of the house since march. They are super paranoid of seeing any of their children inc me, i think i have talked to them through the window 2 times since march.

It's all good that they are keeping safe but i think my old man is loosing the plot. He still has a lot of energy and likes to be doing things but can't.

At some point you need to consider quality of life, do you carry on being locked down forever or do you make the decision to take a few risks to enjoy what you can with the life you have now?

IMO this is not going away anytime soon, if ever, so isolation and the downsides it brings could be your new everyday life for the foreseeable future!
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Greenman wrote: ↑Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:27 am
Bike Breaker wrote: ↑Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:15 am I'm a retired old fogey and selfishly spoiling young people's lives by not having died yet. Although I have no known health problems, because of my age, apparently I'm in imminent danger of death if I do catch the virus. In an attempt to stave off the virus for as long as possible, I'm doing as before. That's a visit to the supermarket once a fortnight. I don't go to pubs, restaurants, sports centres, cinemas, etc so won't miss them.
I suppose you also have to consider quality of life too though.

My parents are in their mid 80's and my old man is in the super high risk category.

They have not really been out of the house since march. They are super paranoid of seeing any of their children inc me, i think i have talked to them through the window 2 times since march.

It's all good that they are keeping safe but i think my old man is loosing the plot. He still has a lot of energy and likes to be doing things but can't.

At some point you need to consider quality of life, do you carry on being locked down forever or do you make the decision to take a few risks to enjoy what you can with the life you have now?

IMO this is not going away anytime soon, if ever, so isolation and the downsides it brings could be your new everyday life for the foreseeable future!
It is hard, but you have to say not seeing someone for ages is better than never seeing them again. I got the extremely vulnerable email yesterday and it does take the joy out of the day. This year I have been filmed by the BBC more times than I've been in a supermarket, and it looks like Im not going to be doing either of those again this year, but what else can you do? If the locked in need a bit of excitement all you need to do is ask the people protesting the lock down what exactly their plans are for the vulnerable people apart from just excluding them from their great plan.. soon gets the blood moving.
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

Greenman wrote: ↑Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:27 amAt some point you need to consider quality of life, do you carry on being locked down forever or do you make the decision to take a few risks to enjoy what you can with the life you have now?
Everyone has a different view of what is a good quality of life. I've never needed to meet many people or meet a few very often. I've never needed to be much of a risk-taker, unless you count riding old motocycles with negligible braking, and I think it would be foolish to start doing stuff I don't enjoy. I go out if I want to and, because MrBB has heart problems, I'm careful but not paranoid, about catching the virus, although the risk in Hull now is much greater than early in the year. Since the end of September, the rate of infection has quickly risen from being at the lower end of the scale to the top.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

my mates just got a new Triple 765 R, so ill have a ride with him, want to get some MTB done, and also get some road miles in as well. I am going to fully embrace it again.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

formula400 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:03 am my mates just got a new Triple 765 R, so ill have a ride with him, want to get some MTB done, and also get some road miles in as well. I am going to fully embrace it again.
Lockdown means stay at home.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: ↑Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:19 am
formula400 wrote: ↑Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:03 am my mates just got a new Triple 765 R, so ill have a ride with him, want to get some MTB done, and also get some road miles in as well. I am going to fully embrace it again.
Exercise outside is perfectly acceptable.
ogri

Post by ogri »

Schools, uni's and most work places/factories all working as per usual.
Few shops shut but can order online.
No official shielding, but feel free to do it off your own back and rely on statatury sick pay.
What lock-down?
Ignorance is bliss
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: ↑Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:53 am
Riding with his mate on the 765 isn't perfectly acceptable.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: ↑Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:58 am
weeksy wrote: ↑Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:53 am

I'd agree yes. For me, that's not within the rules...

It could be 'bent' if someone wanted by using it to go to the Supermarket.... But for me, bending the rules isn't playing ball.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Dropped Mrs M at a school on the ZH2 as the X-Trail was on the naughty step at the garage with seized rear callipers and a shot front wishbone. Took a circuitous route to the LBS to order a new SRAM made from expensive cheese rear cassette for the naughty Levo. Collected Mrs M and then went to the garage to pick up the naughty X-Trail where the mechanics presented us with one snapped and one manky calliper slider.

Now I will wash the ZH2 as its filthy and then go out one the SS to reacquaint myself with the misery and sense of smug puritanical satisfaction that riding a SS generatesπŸ˜‚πŸ˜πŸ˜‚
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MingtheMerciless wrote: ↑Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:48 pm Dropped Mrs M at a school on the ZH2 as the X-Trail was on the naughty step at the garage with seized rear callipers and a shot front wishbone. Took a circuitous route to the LBS to order a new SRAM made from expensive cheese rear cassette for the naughty Levo. Collected Mrs M and then went to the garage to pick up the naughty X-Trail where the mechanics presented us with one snapped and one manky calliper slider.

Now I will wash the ZH2 as its filthy and then go out one the SS to reacquaint myself with the misery and sense of smug puritanical satisfaction that riding a SS generatesπŸ˜‚πŸ˜πŸ˜‚
Translation for us thickies ? :mrgreen:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Yorick wrote: ↑Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:23 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: ↑Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:48 pm Dropped Mrs M at a school on the ZH2 as the X-Trail was on the naughty step at the garage with seized rear callipers and a shot front wishbone. Took a circuitous route to the LBS to order a new SRAM made from expensive cheese rear cassette for the naughty Levo. Collected Mrs M and then went to the garage to pick up the naughty X-Trail where the mechanics presented us with one snapped and one manky calliper slider.

Translation for us thickies ? :mrgreen:
One of his cars is broke so he used the other one, bought a bit for his bicycle, picked up now fixed car from garage, washed the other car.
Honda Owner
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Ha ha sorry, LBS = Local Bike Shop (in best Royston Vasey traditions). SRAM are an American parts manufacturer that are incredibly hit n miss on parts quality/durability.

Levo is a Specialized E bike with motors and batteries made in a specially 1970’s time warped Italian Factory.

And SS is a single speed (One geared, normally the wrong one) bicycle.
Last edited by MingtheMerciless on Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
formula400

Post by formula400 »

riding with a mate might not be in the rules, but its mental exercise.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: ↑Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:58 am
weeksy wrote: ↑Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:53 am Exercise outside is perfectly acceptable.
Keirin?

;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: