Cold out!

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
v8-powered

Cold out!

Post by v8-powered »

Had to head over to Cambridge from Colchester this morning for work so thought instead of driving I'd take the bike.
Grabbed my big Alpinestars jacket and my winter gloves thinking I'd be fine - 45 miles later I'm bloody frozen! Think a new winter jacket and gloves shall be ordered!!!!
Scotsrich

Re: Cold out!

Post by Scotsrich »

It was colder yesterday up here.

Looking out from the cottage the field opposite was completely frosted over and there was a dusting of snow on the top of the mountain.

It’s a positively balmy 4 degrees just now.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

It must have been cold out there as my car seat heater came on automatically as I drove to collect the groceries ;)
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

v8-powered wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:27 am Had to head over to Cambridge from Colchester this morning for work so thought instead of driving I'd take the bike.
Grabbed my big Alpinestars jacket and my winter gloves thinking I'd be fine - 45 miles later I'm bloody frozen! Think a new winter jacket and gloves shall be ordered!!!!
Perhaps you should have worn trousers, too.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

In the winter I used to wear M&S* merino wool long johns, merino woll long sleeved top, and a fleece under my leathers. And you must have heated grips for winter riding anything more than about 5 miles, only a fool would do without**. I may have worn two pairs of socks as well but it's a long time ago and I can't remember all the details.

* Other brands are available.
** I was a fool for one winter. ;)
TE/PP (Toxic Elderly/Poisonous Pensioner) clique founder member
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Saga Lout wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:40 pm In the winter I used to wear M&S* merino wool long johns, merino woll long sleeved top, and a fleece under my leathers. And you must have heated grips for winter riding anything more than about 5 miles, only a fool would do without**. I may have worn two pairs of socks as well but it's a long time ago and I can't remember all the details.

* Other brands are available.
** I was a fool for one winter. ;)
I used to be a hard-core all year commuter but haven't done for many years now. Thought it wasn't too bad a morning for the ride and even though I dig out the heavy kit I just wasn't prepared.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Keis heated waistcoat. 8-)

Though the last couple of days have been a little warmer here,especially if you don't chase the big numbers.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Issue is I've gone from up to 180 miles a day commuting to 6, so I've let all my kit lapse and if I'm honest a little bit budget level.
Today was one of those days where I fancied using the bike and simply underestimated just how bloody cold it was, didn't help that I'd also grabbed the wrong winter gloves and wore a pair that caused numbness!
My old faithful A* jacket still did a pretty reasonable job but nits just knackered - once I got to work and warmed up I sent many hours researching a new jacket and gloves !
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Skub wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:06 pm Keis heated waistcoat. 8-)

Though the last couple of days have been a little warmer here,especially if you don't chase the big numbers.
I bought one of these last year: https://warmnsafe.co.uk/warmnsafe-12v-h ... se-layers/

Only tried it once so far but it was pretty good, uses less power than a heated gilet or fleece and a LOT less bulky under the jacket.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I used to be hard-core all year around, didn't have a car.

I think the secret was to be 21. Fuck sub zero commuting for a game of soldiers now, I can afford a nice comfy car :D
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:11 am I used to be hard-core all year around, didn't gave a car.

I think the secret was to be 21. Fuck sub zero commuting for a game of soldiers now, I can afford a nice comfy car :D
In exactly that boat, I don't actually have a car however do now have my lads car sat outside whilst he's at uni plus also work will provide me a vehicle for the foreseeable. I still enjoy riding but my body now struggles with the cold more than it ever did before, maybe I'll splash some cash on a car....
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:11 am I used to be hard-core all year around, didn't gave a car.

I remember dispatching in the snow. My joints are suffering thirty years later in consequence :thumbdown:
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

I didn't have a car for two years, commuting 40(ish) miles each way by bike. I was in my 50s. But I'm from the North, now living in sub-tropical Essex.
TE/PP (Toxic Elderly/Poisonous Pensioner) clique founder member
Skub

Post by Skub »

Rockburner wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:58 am

I bought one of these last year: https://warmnsafe.co.uk/warmnsafe-12v-h ... se-layers/

Only tried it once so far but it was pretty good, uses less power than a heated gilet or fleece and a LOT less bulky under the jacket.
With them being base layers,are they washable without borking the electrical elephants?
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Skub wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:57 pm
Rockburner wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:58 am

With them being base layers,are they washable without borking the electrical elephants?
Does it not say on the site? I wore it over a t shirt and it was fine.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Saga Lout wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:43 am

I didn't have a car for two years, commuting 40(ish) miles each way by bike. I was in my 50s. But I'm from the North, now living in sub-tropical Essex.
Commuting by bike for me would be slower, more expensive and less convenient. 90% of the time its just a journey too, so I get nothing from being on the bike. Thats the real reasoning behind it.

For the 10%, of trips when it is fun....well I can still take the bike :D
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

v8-powered wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:27 am Had to head over to Cambridge from Colchester this morning for work so thought instead of driving I'd take the bike.
I just plugged in the heated vest, over the thin base layer, under the unlined Alpinestars one-piece suit... and that was it. 3 1/2 hours out on the bike.

Heated kit - it's the way to go.
Your friendly neighbourhood advanced instructor
Skub

Post by Skub »

Rockburner wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:03 pm Does it not say on the site? I wore it over a t shirt and it was fine.
Not that I can see,so I'd assume they need special cleaning. Maybe they don't get stinky. :mrgreen:
Dodgy knees

Post by Dodgy knees »

130 odd miles with a mate today. Air temp reading between 8 and 12. T shirt, sweat shirt and jacket was ok just. Heated grips absolutely essential. Damp patches with farm shit in places. Nice ride though.
Yamaha rocket 3
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:11 am I used to be hard-core all year around, didn't have a car.

I think we were all like that, I’d always wear summer racing gloves as well, sod being seen in horrible winder gloves.
My only issue now is getting my heated grips to work 😂😂😂
Street triple R and a Husky TE450 SM