Quickshifters ? Yes, No, Maybe ?

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
Tricky

Re: Quickshifters ? Yes, No, Maybe ?

Post by Tricky »

I think a large number of the responses in this thread have possibly missed my main point for suggesting it, ( especially the Spanish Dingle , but he is is probably the most narrow minded individual I've ever met and stuck in the 1980s so no suprise there :roll: ) but I think those of you that are talking about it purely as a performance advantage possibly haven't used one on a track on an absolute screamer of a bike like Ceri's ZX6
it really has nothing to do with her reducing laptimes ( AFAIK she's never bothered timing them and has no interest in so doing), and has never been why I suggested it- it's about enjoyment levels, and the sort of bike the ZX6 is.

It revs to 16k rpm and unless you've got at least 8-10k up you really aren't going anywhere fast.
Gear ratios are close, so when you are on it, they come fast, and it is just so so much fun (IMO of course) keeping it pinned and just giving it another gear, then another, then another- makes it just like a playstation game, but so much much better :D
I wouldn't be suggesting one if it were some big lumpy twin, but the ZX6 just absoloutely cries out for one , to me.

And @weeksy the one you linked to is the one to get IMO- a lot of money, but the best.

Anyway- my ten-bob's worth, FWIW
Horse

Post by Horse »

Bigjawa wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:15 am Beemers are fucking odd though...but they never did anything track orientated until the S1000R
Ahem!

BMW Type 255 Kompressor was a supercharged boxer twin race motorcycle from the 1930s. A BMW 255 Kompressor was ridden to victory by Georg Meier in the 1939 Isle of Man TT and the first win by a non-British competitor in the premier 500cc Senior TT class.

;)

That bike was probably fitted with ein Langsamerer Schalthebel (Slower Shifter)
Dodgy knees

Post by Dodgy knees »

Tricky wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:10 am I think a large number of the responses in this thread have possibly missed my main point for suggesting it, ( especially the Spanish Dingle , but he is is probably the most narrow minded individual I've ever met and stuck in the 1980s so no suprise there :roll: ) but I think those of you that are talking about it purely as a performance advantage possibly haven't used one on a track on an absolute screamer of a bike like Ceri's ZX6
it really has nothing to do with her reducing laptimes ( AFAIK she's never bothered timing them and has no interest in so doing), and has never been why I suggested it- it's about enjoyment levels, and the sort of bike the ZX6 is.

It revs to 16k rpm and unless you've got at least 8-10k up you really aren't going anywhere fast.
Gear ratios are close, so when you are on it, they come fast, and it is just so so much fun (IMO of course) keeping it pinned and just giving it another gear, then another, then another- makes it just like a playstation game, but so much much better :D
I wouldn't be suggesting one if it were some big lumpy twin, but the ZX6 just absoloutely cries out for one , to me.

And @weeksy the one you linked to is the one to get IMO- a lot of money, but the best.

and don't forget, they do sound nice... Not sure if you can get a blipper for it. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:20 am
Tricky wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:10 am I think a large number of the responses in this thread have possibly missed my main point for suggesting it, ( especially the Spanish Dingle , but he is is probably the most narrow minded individual I've ever met and stuck in the 1980s so no suprise there :roll: ) but I think those of you that are talking about it purely as a performance advantage possibly haven't used one on a track on an absolute screamer of a bike like Ceri's ZX6

and don't forget, they do sound nice... Not sure if you can get a blipper for it. 🤷‍♂️
Some people (not me) would call you a saddo for thinking that.

Anyway, I've re-thought things and decided that nearly all of my post above is complete bollocks.
And it's as much use as an ashtray.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Blippers so sound ace yes. They're more effective for me than a QS I think.

I don't know what we'll do at the moment, but interesting to get opinions
Dodgy knees

Post by Dodgy knees »

If it was me I probably wouldn't bother if its only UP shifts. If up and down then yes definitely.
Yamaha rocket 3
Falcoholic

Post by Falcoholic »

Nidge wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:32 am I’m guessing no-one is missing manual advance/retard, hand shifts, or acetylene lights...
Yeah but I'd still love the chance to ride something like that.

QS on a race bike I get it. How much time do you lose changing gear over few dozen laps? Quite a few when you're chasing the clock and the lap times I would imagine. On the road maybe not so much. It's subjective, I suppose.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

It won't be long before the new toys for Gold Wing owners are QS and launch control :mrgreen:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Yorick wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:59 pm It won't be long before the new toys for Gold Wing owners are QS and launch control :mrgreen:
Get a DCT Goldwing and you don't need a quickshifter.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Falcoholic wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:51 pm
Nidge wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:32 am I’m guessing no-one is missing manual advance/retard, hand shifts, or acetylene lights...
Yeah but I'd still love the chance to ride something like that.

QS on a race bike I get it. How much time do you lose changing gear over few dozen laps? Quite a few when you're chasing the clock and the lap times I would imagine. On the road maybe not so much. It's subjective, I suppose.
Do they still use zeroshift in MotoGP or was it banned? They use it in F1 still AFAIK.

It's very much like the VW DSG system in that you have two gear shafts, but you still only have one clutch on the race system.

In a race it deffo makes sense.
TBR_Matt

Post by TBR_Matt »

I actually race for 3 yrs without a quickshifter, and have suspension data and timing data buried on a laptop somewhere

Dipping the throttle upsets the bike for a start, it also costs time, maybe a tenth per shift.. over the course of a lap that can be quite a lot depending on the bike and track..

Also have footage from someone who was behind me, and you can see when I'm shifting, and each time the bike behind would nudge say, half a bike length closer enough so by the end of the straight they were alongside me... purely from lost time shifting

So definitely massively helpful on track, both in time and keeping things smooth when the bikes banked over and you want to shift

For a road bike, its definitely only worth it for the pure pleasure of it.. for people worried about gearboxes... it depends a LOT on the quality of the quickshifter... a good high end quickshifter can actually be better than using the clutch.. the simple way bike gearboxes shift gears, is not great, there's always scope for dogs to chip away at eachother.. smoothness is the key