Kawasaki Z1000SX- A mini-review

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Gimlet

Re: Kawasaki Z1000SX- A mini-review

Post by Gimlet »

A blower adds weight and mass I'm afraid. Has to go somehwere.

I'm waiting for a kit for my Superduke. :1
Skub

Post by Skub »

2xtwins wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:51 am but at no time did my knees give me grief and I did just under 170 miles before stopping for petrol.
Kev
Yeah but the Yin is old now and various body parts are well borked. 'Tis why he retired. All the Polis are now required to take the knee and the poor bastid couldn't manage it. Well he could do the getting down part,(more like falling down) but then his ancient knobblies refused to cooperate with the getting up thing. :(
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

2xtwins wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:51 am I know I haven't had the chance yet to put serious miles under the wheels of the Zed - only the one ride of just over 200 miles - but my initial impression was not one of being restricted for space. I'm not sure we've met Bigyin, but we're similar height.

Yes, it's smaller than the K1300, but at no time did my knees give me grief and I did just under 170 miles before stopping for petrol. A similar run on the K or my 954 Blade would certainly have started to cause some discomfort.
Kev
I think you mis read my post mate...... i said it felt small in comparison to my Multistrada due mainly to bar and footpeg position being a lot more sporty.

My second post with knee discomfort was referring to a Panigale test ride

I hope you get well soon and get many more miles under your belt

Skub on the other hand can just fuck off back to his peat bog :thumbup:
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

Sorry Bigyin.

The knee reference was purely my own point of reference as to how comfy I am on a bike -I've noticed that over the past two or three years my ageing joints have become more of an issue.

Fair play for test-riding a Panigale, I'm not sure I'd last five minutes :thumbup:

Kev
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Rode a couple of these as friends have them, for me they were very much a comfy sportsbike for one up use. I was always impressed by the midrange and always thought they’d be great for winning the intermediate group on track, definitely an impressive bike and when my knee was proper playing up a few years ago I did consider one.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Couchy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:37 pm they’d be great for winning the intermediate group on track,
I dig how you think. :lol:
Walt Whitman
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Skub wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:55 pm
Couchy is always looking for a bike or added trick to win at Inters ;)
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:27 pm
Skub wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:55 pm
Couchy is always looking for a bike or added trick to win at Inters ;)
The trick is to use a non sportsbike :lol:
G.P

Post by G.P »

Couchy wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:36 pm

The trick is to use a non sportsbike :lol:
I think Tricky on the loud sofa will be favourite for that next time out ;) :D
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

I guess an update is long overdue on this one..

It has been an eventful 6 months for the Zed. I got back into riding 6 months or so ago after the health scare of last year and, on paper at least, this should have been the "go to" bike as it was the newest, the comfiest and I hadn't really got to ride it since its purchase.

All started well and, indeed, we did a trackday at Brands Indy in June and the bike acquitted itself well - no, I didn't win Inters - didn't even win Novice :oops: - apart from a gearbox issue. Fourth gear kept playing up. Not good.

It was just out of warranty but had just under 2500 miles on the clock by now so Kawasaki did the honourable thing and fixed it foc - parts and labour covered by them. Full credit to Greenham Kawasaki and their head tech for going into bat on my behalf. Thanks guys.

By the end of the following month all was well, I'd put another 500 miles on it and it went in for its service - all good and the gearbox is probably better than it has ever been. Notwithstanding that, I took up the offer to extend the warranty for two years - same terms as the new bike warranty - for just over £300 which gives me peace of mind.

Once I was happy with everything and after a quick chat with @weeksy I booked onto the Pembrey RTTL trackday and the Zed, again, made a track appearance.

I rode down the 175 miles on the Thursday afternoon and all was good, apart from the traffic and the weather. The bike was fine and did the journey without a fuel stop too. Result.

Trackdays, on the Friday and the Saturday, as recounted by others more eloquent elsewhere, were great fun. I probably pushed harder than I used to but never felt I was overstepping the mark and had no "moments" either. @Couchy was probably right

I didn't win Inters but with @Tricky and @singlesman there was no chance of that anyways

We made our way back via the Gower, having lunch with my son and his family who were on holiday at the time.

All in all, then, you would think I'd found my perfect bike...

But no, not really, it just lacks a certain something - it's just too efficient, I suppose. I could have ridden it many times over the past couple of weeks since returning from Wales but I've ridden other bikes....I haven't even washed it since then :(

Take today for example, popped in to see Mum n Dad in Reading, only 15 or 20 miles each way, it was spitting with rain so I wouldn't be getting a clean bike dirty. Perfect, and it would give it a run out.

Nope, I took the Tuono, got absolutely drenched (didn't bother with waterproofs) when the heavens opened five miles down the road and then again on the way home.

And, as soon as the rain stopped, I washed the Tuono. Go figure, eh?

Still that's enough for now - I was going to wash the Zed too, honest, but, just as I'd removed the Phil Bevan stickers from the fairing, it started pissing with rain again.

Another day........

Kev
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

When you say a wash, do you mean "take it to Weeksy so he can prep it for the dealers" ?
Skub

Post by Skub »

I don't think it's common,but the 4th gear troubles do seem well known in Z circles. I've known a couple of folk who just replace the engine,rather than buy the gearbox bits,one chap is on his third....

Some engines do big miles with no bother and others play up at low miles. The Z1000 lump is on it's 4th generation,it's a bit crap that this issue still happens.
Walt Whitman
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Skub wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:37 pm I don't think it's common,but the 4th gear troubles do seem well known in Z circles. I've known a couple of folk who just replace the engine,rather than buy the gearbox bits,one chap is on his third....

Some engines do big miles with no bother and others play up at low miles. The Z1000 lump is on it's 4th generation,it's a bit crap that this issue still happens.
My ZX9R C2 spat 3rd gear.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Yorick wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:10 pm
Skub wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:37 pm I don't think it's common,but the 4th gear troubles do seem well known in Z circles. I've known a couple of folk who just replace the engine,rather than buy the gearbox bits,one chap is on his third....

My ZX9R C2 spat 3rd gear.
It's the ZX9R lump in the Z1000 up to around 2014,then it became the ZX10R derived engine.
Walt Whitman
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

weeksy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:14 pm When you say a wash, do you mean "take it to Weeksy so he can prep it for the dealers" ?
Thx Steve, that sounds like an offer but I'd better decline - I'd feel guilty about that and be duty bound to sell it :lol:

Kev
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

Yeah, there seems to be a few stories online and, as you say, there is no pattern or consistency to it. Greenham reckoned they'd only had one similar case and that was in a Versys.

Kev
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

2xtwins wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:05 am
weeksy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:14 pm When you say a wash, do you mean "take it to Weeksy so he can prep it for the dealers" ?
Thx Steve, that sounds like an offer but I'd better decline - I'd feel guilty about that and be duty bound to sell it :lol:

Kev
Bike washed and did a few miles today..... it's such an easy bike to ride and I had a very enjoyable bimbly hoon on a great day for being out on the bike.

Not taking any hasty decisions re dealers :)

Kev
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

2xtwins wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:57 pm
2xtwins wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:05 am

Kev
Bike washed and did a few miles today..... it's such an easy bike to ride and I had a very enjoyable bimbly hoon on a great day for being out on the bike.

Not taking any hasty decisions re dealers :)

Kev
Met a dealer today :hmmm: ...............10 days isn't hasty, is it? :lol:

Kev
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

That's a lifetime
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

The nice dealer man made a good offer for the Zed.

Hence, it is no longer of this parish, having been swapped for the mongrel Niken GT.

Kev