CV Junction 2 - titanium upgrade

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: CV Junction 2 - titanium upgrade

Post by Noggin »

Nordboy wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:45 pm Bloody hell!!
Actually, makes me feel a whole lot better.

Not to derail the thread, I have early onset Foraminal Cervical Spinal Stenosis, which is basically that the spinal canal has started to narrow and pinch on the nerves, causing all sorts of nerve problems, pain all the way to losing bladder control etc. I had issues that I went to a chiropactor for, and they told me that something wasn’t right. I paid for a MRI, and voila!

Had an injection into the spinal column to try and relieve some of the numbness/ tingling I was having in my right arm. I thought it would be pretty straight forward until the bloke giving the injection whipped out what looked like a 6 incher (needle) and told me to lay on my back. I then asked, “if you’re injecting into my spine, how are you going to get to it, if i’m on my back?” The reply “i’m going in through your throat, moving the muscles to the side and injecting into the spinal column using the x-ray machine”
Queue, lots of swear words from me, but as he was holding the sharp pointy thing, i sh*t out and became suitably compliant.

Me, not happy, then had to remain as still as hell for at least and hour (well, a good 5 mins) while he dug around using a 2 ft needle (obviously for the benefit of the story, it will get more exaggerated) before injecting me, with what i can only describe as ‘fire taken straight from the arse of hades’. I have never felt such excruciating pain, in my life, including childbirth! (Ok, so that’s meant to be bad, but being a bloke, maybe it was 100 times worse than manflu)
I actually thought my right arm was going to explode! But, as the bloke had a 6ft needle piercing my throat, in my spinal column, i thought it a bit unwise to a) scream like a baby. b) cry like a baby. c) erupt from what i was imagining was the autopsy slab and run out of the room, with said 15ft needle protruding from my neck waving my hands in the air, doing both a) and b).

In shock, i refused to get up when he told me it was all over 6 hours later (ok, the 5 mins) and when i was helped off the slab by the nurse, i pottered off towards the door, (totally forgetting i was naked from the waist up) to feel sorry for myself and make my way home.

P.s. the injection did seem to work, as my symptoms have been dramatically reduced since the injection, meaning surgery can wait.

Sorry, i guess that did derail the thread somewhat, i’ll delete it if you want?
I thought my cortisone injection in the uk was bad, I'll never wimper again :O !!! (Over here for the shoulder one they used a local anesthetic first!! I like it here!!!!)

Horse wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:26 pm
Noggin wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:53 pm Wow. Scary stuff when its skull, spine, brain!!

Hope its worked!
Yes, scary.

But I also had your grief in mind when posting, hope it's improving.
Thank you. Mine will get better tho, so an issue now (and maybe the next 12 months in a worst case scenario) but the outlook is positive!! I keep meaning to write an update but typing one handed sux!!! :roll:

Rockburner wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:29 pm Fookin ell.

So much for the "jump" idea then..... ;)

Had no idea, fingers crossed for you and Nordboy!

This motorcycling fad is dangerous!
Someone said something similar to me the other day. I maintain that the fad is perfectly fine - its crashing that fucks things up!!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Glad you’ve had it done and fingers crossed it works. As you know I have a similar diagnosis, but presumably not so severe as surgery has been ruled out.. have to say I’m rather pleased that this is the case as it sounds like a pretty uncomfortable road to recovery .

Take it easy and keep us posted how it works..
Horse

Post by Horse »

Gedge wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:47 am Glad you’ve had it done and fingers crossed it works. As you know I have a similar diagnosis, but presumably not so severe as surgery has been ruled out.. have to say I’m rather pleased that this is the case as it sounds like a pretty uncomfortable road to recovery .

Take it easy and keep us posted how it works..
Believe or not, the surgery 'just' for Chiari decompression is worse than I had!

Because of my metalwork, they didn’t cut the dura (the canvas-like covering over the brain) and sew in an artificial patch to allow the cerebellum more room. Apparently, releasing cerebrospinal fluid isn't great for screws.

Downsides of this extra process are potential CSF leaks post-op and 5 days of headaches and nausea, with possible pain management difficulties.

But giving the cerebellum more room should improve long-term outcomes.

So, if you can avoid it, that's good!
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Geçmiş olsun Horse.

Hope that the end result isn't too bad and you have some head mobility.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yambo wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:56 am Geçmiş olsun Horse.

Hope that the end result isn't too bad and you have some head mobility.
Thanks (haven't done Google translate, so assuming it's good ;) )

I'd like 3 things from this:
1. It's created enough room for the brainstem that I don't need the second op
2. End to nystagmus and headaches
3. Retain some side to side head movement. If not, DL goes back to Swansea
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Fingers crossed for you!
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Wow...hope you are on the mend.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Whoa! I wish you all the very best.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Horse wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:35 pm And as an attention whore I'm quite content that you keep bouncing this thread up the board ;)
Have you considered some of this might help.... :mrgreen:

Touche
Horse

Post by Horse »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:44 pm
Horse wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:35 pm And as an attention whore I'm quite content that you keep bouncing this thread up the board ;)
Have you considered some of this might help.... :mrgreen:

Touche
Well done ;)

Actually, I had. But, sadly, I've been caffeine-free for a while due to attempts to address sleep issues.

Oh, and being a coffee philistine who drinks instant:) (L'Or)
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Hope you get better soon bud
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

You definitely win the collar thing, for now that is. :D I will have to wear mine for the rest of my life. :mrgreen:

I hope that you procedure is succesfful and you get the quality of life you need. Every blessing.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Horse

Post by Horse »

the_priest wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:16 am You definitely win the collar thing, for now that is. :D I will have to wear mine for the rest of my life. :mrgreen:
There's the irony; wearing mine is part of a process to, hopefully, extend my life!
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Horse, is this thread basically a way of telling us your brain is so big it won't fit in your skull? :D

More seriously, I hope it all works out as well as possible.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Scootabout wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:17 pm Horse, is this thread basically a way of telling us your brain is so big it won't fit in your skull? :D

More seriously, I hope it all works out as well as possible.
Dang! Rumbled :)

I did actually ask the first consultant that :) He said yes, but did laugh (pity?).
Horse

Post by Horse »

Six months ago, Monday August 3rd, 9:15, I was just walking from the ward to operating theatre.

So, an update.

Actually, I sat for 1/4 hour in the recovery room, waiting. It was bizarre. Because the room is for post-op patients, it has no beds, so they gave me a fold-up chair to sit on :)

At 1.30 I was in the same room, the same bay, but with staff milling around and talking at me.

As described in post #1, the op was to remove a chunk of skull, the back of C1 vertebra, and 'fusing' (inserting screws and rods) skull/C1/C2.

As also said, I'd been told 3 or 4 days in, so it was quite a shock to have a CT on Tuesday and then be told to get out (not quite that blunt), there was a definite drive to clear the ward (two small wards and side rooms) presumably as a covid reduction measure. As much as it was good to get home (being on hourly checks overnight meant little sleep), the pain was unpleasant.

This was in the rigid collar, that I'd been told could be up to 6 months. At 3, I pestered for CT and the results eventually confirmed sufficient bone fusing to allow the start of physio. December 17th was the first actual physio, including advice on using a soft collar for 'weaning off' the rigid collar. First day completely without a collar was January 2nd. Hurrah!

Several pages of exercises from the physio, as well as neck strength and mobility, actually for strengthening from the legs up too.

Two questions:

1. What has the op achieved?

The op was two address two things: Chiari and brainstem compression.

Headaches have substantially reduced, both continuous and the specific Chiari signature headaches.

Walking and balance has been the big win. I'm no longer dragging or stubbing my left foot. Here's an example of something - seemingly simple - that I can now do: walk from the kitchen, carrying two mugs of tea, in turn stand on one foot to kick off slippers, walk to the foot of the stairs, a 180° turn and up the stairs. Simple now - before just the turn would have been in two stages.

No change to the nystagmus (eye wobbling). I have physio exercises for this, but have (with physio's agreement) eased off on these as they require rapid head/neck movement.

2. Will the second op be needed?

I'm hoping that the improvements in walking will render it unnecessary. Call with consultant next week to discuss.

Finally, the really good news - my major concern - I drove on Saturday :D
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Not sure I should have read all that ^^^ as you know, I have the same issue but ( thankfully) to a lesser degree that at the moment doesn’t require surgery ..long may that continue ...

Hope yours heals properly and you get some sort of normality back..
Skub

Post by Skub »

Rock on Horse,good to hear the progress man. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Awesome progress - and you get to drive!! :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

The real test will be back on the bike! :D

Seriously, well done Horse, hope the recovery continues and that you don't need the 2nd op.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!