Kawasaki Z1000SX- A mini-review

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Tricky

Kawasaki Z1000SX- A mini-review

Post by Tricky »

As, I think, largely as a result of my recent purchase of a MultiStrada (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=472), my older brother Kev decided to have a change and chop his K1300S Beemer super-tanker in for something slightly different , and decided on a Z1000SX- pretty much as far as I can gather through looking at one or two and reading one or two reviews, rather than any experience of riding one .

Anyway, a few weeks back a Kawasaki dealer reasonably local to him made him an offer he couldn’t turn down so he rode his K in there, and rode out on a low mileage ( not sure exactly how many but it was only a few hundred) green 2019 Z1000SX.
Although the 2020 model comes with a QuickShifter as standard, the 2019 doesn’t, and it’s not a factory fit option either, but the dealer had recommended and included a Healtech one in with the deal.

It had to be ordered and retrofitted, so it was booked in to have it fitted last Friday, and that’s where I come in, as Kev only got to ride it two or possibly three times before fate intervened, and he had a heart attack- thankfully not whilst on the bike.

The good news is it wasn’t fatal, and after a little op to insert a stent or two he’s now back at home, but riding bikes, along with of course a fair few other things are not possible for him at the moment.
He didn’t want to miss his workshop slot, and so I, as a good brother, drove my car over to his place and rode away on the Zed.
The 40ish mile ride home was an interesting one for me – I’ve put roughly 1000 miles on my recently acquired Multistrada over the last few weeks , and it was a real contrast.
First thing that struck me was the relatively high feeling footrests, compared to a Multi, and bars that really did feel like they are half the width too- the over-riding feeling I had was how relatively speaking tiny it is ( highly effective but comedy-looking mirrors aside of course ) - seriously, although its 1000cc, and I guess positioned as a sports-tourer, it feels half the size of the Multi and positively minuscule compared to something like a ZZR1400, or the K1300S, which is what it replaced.

And this (unless you want to take pillions on it), is a very good thing IMO;- I don’t know what the weight of it is, but it feels a lot lighter than it actually is, and about half the weight of my H2 -it made that feel like an absolute tank…
It encourages you (or me, anyway), to ride it like a light-middleweight, in the same way as a 790 Duke does.
Very buzzy, and had me constantly reaching for a 7th gear, but that’s conventional IL4s for you, I do it on the H2 as well- such a contrast to a big twin like the Multistrada, which it’s not happy in 6th unless you’re doing minimum 80, and built-up areas mean 3rd is effectively the highest gear you use, you can run the Zed down to 20 -30mph in top.
That in itself wasn’t surprising, but what was, was the mid-range- it never felt lacking for me, you can wind it on in 5th or 6th from low speed without feeling you need to drop a gear or two, it just goes, which is unlike his K1300 where I would often feel the need to drop it down one or two to get a move on.
Admittedly its lower geared than the Multi ( 6k in top is 85ish with 7k bang on 100mph), but that’s comparable with its peers really.
It doesn’t have the ballistic top-end of the K1300, but it’s a screamer alright and even more so since the QS has been fitted- a very well developed, smooth power delivery with a real nice rush towards the top-end.
I put 150-200ish miles on it over the couple of days I had it, including a 40-50 mile ride in the pissing rain and whilst it isn’t a contender for me in my garage, I can see why they are popular- a very well developed bike IMO that I’d as happily thrape around Donington as much as go on a tour with it – what Kawasaki really need to do is get the H2 motor in this chassis, now that really would be a package!

weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Kawasaki Z1000SX- A mini-review

Post by weeksy »

Nice write up mate.. :) Not something i fancy riding myself much, but when we were in there on Friday i can see the appeal of some of the Kawasakis.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I'm sure it's a very good bike, but it's really ugly.
Honda Owner
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

Thanks for this write up, Rich, far better than I could manage.

A bit of background / additional info just to complete the picture.

As Rich has said, this was a bit of an impulse purchase. I'd been thinking of moving the K1300S on for a while, only bought it in March last year and put 3k miles on but it didn't really get the juices flowing - yes, it was fast, safe, economical and predictable - a two-wheeled 535D, for want of a better description.

Rich bought the Ducati after borrowing the K for a short while and it was a short ride on the Multistrada that confirmed to me that the BMW should go. Also confirmed that I didn't really want a loud V-Twin - I have two of those already - and Tricky had already sown the Zed seed in my mind as he'd seen a couple where he bought the MTS.

48 hours later I was at a Kawasaki dealer looking at a 19 plate Z1000SX, 14 months old, 850 miles, balance of 2 year warranty which had been traded by its local previous owner for an H2......what's the cost to change, Mister?

Significantly less than I was expecting - so a deal was struck with them fitting heated grips and replacing the tank pad and booking it in for a QS to be fitted - only because I liked it on the K and thought why not? Brand new bike to all intents and purposes, all for less than £5k + the Bimmer.

Result all round - I had a year's use out of the old girl for £100, a pair of tyres and a battery.

Rich has done a very good synopsis of the Zed, so I really haven't got anything to add - it is remarkably nimble for a 1000cc sports tourer and I look forward to getting out and about in due course.

Regrettably my health took a turn for the worse two or three days after purchase so I managed only 300 miles and have yet to experience the QS, obviously.

However, I am still here and firmly on the road to recovery.

Kev

Result
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

GWS big fella ! Look forward to seeing you again soon mate.
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

Cheers Steve.

No doubt you'll end up having a little go on it sometime and I really believe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

As soon as my month's quarantine is up I'll be in touch.

Kev
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've just had a peek at these on the Kwak webshite.

I'm intrigued by the "Economical Riding Indicator"

The Economical Riding Indicator is a mark appearing on the instrument panel to indicate favourable fuel consumption, encouraging fuel efficient riding.

Using high-precision electronic control for engine management, Kawasaki models can achieve a high level of fuel efficiency.

However, fuel consumption is greatly affected by throttle use, gear selection, and other elements under the rider's control. The Economical Riding Indicator is a function that indicates when current riding conditions are consuming a low amount of fuel. The system continuously monitors fuel consumption, regardless of vehicle speed, engine speed, throttle position and other riding conditions. When fuel consumption is low for a given speed (i.e. fuel efficiency is high), an "ECO" mark appears on the instrument panel's LCD screen. By riding so that the "ECO" mark remains on, fuel consumption can be reduced.

While effective vehicle speed and engine speed may vary by model, paying attention to conditions that cause the "ECO" mark to appear can help riders improve their fuel efficiency – a handy way to increase cruising range. Further, keeping fuel consumption low also helps minimise negative impact on the environment.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Perspective is a funny thing.

Apart from the old ugly Multistrudel I've not ridden any recent model,so I was of the opinion being a Ducati,they would be lightweight. A sport bike with a more relaxed riding position. To hear the Kawa felt lighter and more nimble was a surprise,because coming from my old Ten onto one a couple of years ago,it felt very much 'tourer' to me and considerably less nimble.

Not that I'm drawn to Ducatis anyway,but if the Multi is less flickable than the SX,then I know I don't want one!

Cool writeup Tricky.

All the very best to 2xtwins on your road to recovery. The rebore will have you as good as new,maybe even a bit more top speed after the careful running in process. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:38 pm I've just had a peek at these on the Kwak webshite.

I'm intrigued by the "Economical Riding Indicator"

The Economical Riding Indicator is a mark appearing on the instrument panel to indicate favourable fuel consumption, encouraging fuel efficient riding.

Using high-precision electronic control for engine management, Kawasaki models can achieve a high level of fuel efficiency.

However, fuel consumption is greatly affected by throttle use, gear selection, and other elements under the rider's control. The Economical Riding Indicator is a function that indicates when current riding conditions are consuming a low amount of fuel. The system continuously monitors fuel consumption, regardless of vehicle speed, engine speed, throttle position and other riding conditions. When fuel consumption is low for a given speed (i.e. fuel efficiency is high), an "ECO" mark appears on the instrument panel's LCD screen. By riding so that the "ECO" mark remains on, fuel consumption can be reduced.

While effective vehicle speed and engine speed may vary by model, paying attention to conditions that cause the "ECO" mark to appear can help riders improve their fuel efficiency – a handy way to increase cruising range. Further, keeping fuel consumption low also helps minimise negative impact on the environment.
Lol, yeah I noticed that - a funny little two circles logo flashing up now and again , didn't affect how I rode it though, just as it doesn't affect how I ride the H2 (I kid you not, it has it too! :lol: :lol: )

And cheers Skub- Multi is still very very flickable I and sportsbike-like in terms of handling IMO.
It doesn't feel heavier as such to me ( unlike the H2 and K1300, ZZRs etc which massively do) but it is absoloutely massive in terms of physical size , roomy-ness (ie footrest/seat/bar position) and handlebar width compared to the Zed- its a while since I sold my ZX10-C2 so can't immediately compare that with this , but this did suprise me, and I honestly reckon I would get down pretty all B roads and most A-type roads quicker on the SX than I would have on my old 10.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Blimey, GWS Kev,
It looks like the pubs will be open by the time your month is up so we should arrange a gathering in a pub garden somewhere to raise a glass to your health.
Take care! :thumbup:
G.P

Post by G.P »

Nice write up Tricky, I'm seeing a lot of these out and about, seems for good reason :)
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Good write up Tricky :)

I had a look at these a few years ago before i bought the first Multi and had a test ride on one early 2018 when it was in for some work and quite liked it. As you said it feels really small for a 1000cc compared to a Multi and after about 100 miles i found it almost felt cramped but that was probably just the higher pegs and more "sportsbike" bar position.

The engine was lovely and smooth but almost felt a little bland in comparison to the big twin.

I can see why they are popular with enough power and comfort for most without going full ZX10 ;)

I'll stick with the Ducati for now as it ticks all my boxes
Tarmacsurfer

Post by Tarmacsurfer »

Good write up but not for me, it's got too many cylinders.

...and has anyone mentioned the screen yet?! ☺
Skub

Post by Skub »

Tarmacsurfer wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:55 pm ...and has anyone mentioned the screen yet?! ☺
I assumed it must work really well,because it surely isn't there for looks. :lol:
Walt Whitman
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Skub wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:57 pm I assumed it must work really well,because it surely isn't there for looks. :lol:
Not very pretty and didnt find it worked that well either no matter where i set it. Ended up leaving it low as at least there it looked the least crap ;)
Skub

Post by Skub »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:45 pm Not very pretty and didnt find it worked that well either no matter where i set it. Ended up leaving it low as at least there it looked the least crap ;)
Double whammy. Or maybe you need to shrink a bit! :P
Walt Whitman
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Skub wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:05 pm
Double whammy. Or maybe you need to shrink a bit! :P
At 6 foot 1 try riding a Panigale at anything below 80 mph ..... its just uncomfortable and pain in the wrists etc. Once above 80 the airflow off the tiny screen at least hits you in the upper chest and takes the weight off the wrists. Crack on with more mph and it makes more and more sense till about 110-120 then its tuck in time .... also not that easy with long arms and legs on a tiny bike :D

You can see why the Multistrada makes perfect sense for me :thumbup:
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

They have put the H2 engine into the SX. It's called the H2 SX..
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Gimlet wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:07 am They have put the H2 engine into the SX. It's called the H2 SX..
No, they really haven't- park a Z1000SX next to an H2SX , or try (or even just sit on) both and you will see what my point is.
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

I know I haven't had the chance yet to put serious miles under the wheels of the Zed - only the one ride of just over 200 miles - but my initial impression was not one of being restricted for space. I'm not sure we've met Bigyin, but we're similar height.

Yes, it's smaller than the K1300, but at no time did my knees give me grief and I did just under 170 miles before stopping for petrol. A similar run on the K or my 954 Blade would certainly have started to cause some discomfort.

As for the looks and the screen - well it's not KTM pretty ;) - and I'm looking forward to getting out on it to see how effective it is but not expecting BMW K-RT levels of protection.

Kev